Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadcast brassicas and got around 3'' of rain overnight

skyleralan

PMA Member
It was a firm seed bed, and I knew there was a chance of heavy rain coming so I decided not to take a drag over it and loosen the soil. I broadcast right onto the dry dirt and just when over very lightly with a packer.

Do I have any reason to worry or would a good hard rain be good to work the seed in. I was afraid to get it too deep that is why I didn't drag it, but now wonder if it washed away or with the tiny seed (aside from the radishes) if it would just beat it down and be good for germination.

This I'm sure will be the first of many threads like this.

Last edited:
Fairly flat ground and you will probably be fine. If its hilly you might keep an eye on it and reseed as necessary......the rain can turn off at any time.... wowzer.

Fairly flat ground and you will probably be fine. If its hilly you might keep an eye on it and reseed as necessary......the rain can turn off at any time.... wowzer.

Yes very flat a little grade on the bottom half not much. Ground looked like this.

ForumRunner_20150716_122356.jpg

Good news- u can redo if didn't work. What u may see- areas where seed got washed away and pooled up or settled in areas really thick. Which u will have to redo if the case. U ain't gonna know for pry 3-5 days and if u can identify little germinated brassicas I'm up in the air on success. If betting- I say u pry gonna need redo some areas. Maybe wrong. I'm certain u have plenty time to make right if needs help. Hope it's good though.

Good news- u can redo if didn't work. What u may see- areas where seed got washed away and pooled up or settled in areas really thick. Which u will have to redo if the case. U ain't gonna know for pry 3-5 days and if u can identify little germinated brassicas I'm up in the air on success. If betting- I say u pry gonna need redo some areas. Maybe wrong. I'm certain u have plenty time to make right if needs help. Hope it's good though.

I am still waiting for the "perfect" plot with ample rain and everything going as planned....hasn't happened in 3 years now. I do have more seed. Like anything weeds getting a head start always worries me too. I originally just packed it essentially with the tractor tires, lots of tread grooves in the ground don't know if they would help settle the seed or not.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for the "perfect" plot with ample rain and everything going as planned....hasn't happened in 3 years now. I do have more seed. Like anything weeds getting a head start always worries me too. I originally just packed it essentially with the tractor tires, lots of tread grooves in the ground don't know if they would help settle the seed or not.
once again flat ground should be ok if you didn't have running water you should be 80% ok

Hey man, you'll get no sympathy from me...I have been plotting now for about 12+ years and I don't think I have had a perfect plot yet! :D It's always something it seems. :D

As others have said...I think you will likely be in pretty good shape and you have plenty of time to correct any weak spots.

Hey man, you'll get no sympathy from me...I have been plotting now for about 12+ years and I don't think I have had a perfect plot yet! :D It's always something it seems. :D

As others have said...I think you will likely be in pretty good shape and you have plenty of time to correct any weak spots.

That doesn't help my food plotting confidence. Thanks again for all the insight and opinions guys!

Went and looked at plot today. Early impression is plot looks really good. Lots of seed germinated with lots of sprouts. At the same time, waiting a week definitely gave weeds a chance to start as well. Will cross That bridge later I guess.

I put 420lbs of all purpose fertilizer down, but was curious what do you guys think you get nutrient wise when you plow down CRP (which is what I did, all my plots have been put in CRP)?

Last edited:
good news. Well done! Out of crp u will have some great nutrients off the get go. Those are your best couple years when it comes out. There's a million reasons which r nerdy science stuff like all the bacteria, microorganizms, micronutrients, massive amount of night crawlers, lack of soil compaction, etc. Crops do great. But- long term u need to keep up with P&K & other things. U will need to follow up with soil test and keep soil in great shape or it can go down hill but the few years following crp are great. Exception is the very first season if it wasn't killed off well. For fertilizer - a mix could have 46% actual lbs per 100 down to 5 or 6 lbs. so putting 500 lbs of 5-5-5 (making this up) is the same as putting down 100 lbs of 25-25-25. I'm sure u will have a tremendous plot from the way it sounds. Very nice! Post pics.

Top Bottom