Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead choices

S

SmokingArrow

I want to experiment with a new broadhead for this season. I used Satellite chisel tip broadheads this last fall with good results but am wanting to try a good cut on contact broadhead. I know that Satellite and Magnus have some good ones but I'm open to suggestions from anyone who has good luck with a cut on contact broadhead out there.

Montecs are my favorite broadhead out there....great field-point-like accuracy and cut on contact.

the Nugent blade is a great cut on impact blade. they are made by magnus. anything by magnus you can't go wrong with. i'm a muzzy fan myself. good luck with your selection.

TRX named my two choices. I use Montecs but steelforces are good to. Cut on contact broadheads is where its at. Get rid of those chisel heads.

Another Steel Force user. Very sharp out of the box and they fly great. I shoot the 125 premiums.

Tim

I'll be the odd one in the bunch. I really like my Bodkins. Inexpensive and fly exactly the same as my field tips. Proven design for 50+ years.

shovel- not to mention that those bodkins are about 99cents a piece. I have had good luck with zwickeys, steelforce and snuffers, but that was from my black widow. Montecs look nice and i may try some this year, despite the devistation i have seen jakhmammers and grim reapers inflict. cut on impact are fail proof, just havent seen one that can do the damage a 2 inch expandable can!

ps muddy you dont like muzzy's do you???
grin.gif

I have never tried cut-on-impacts before but may this year.Everyone talks about the devastation of them and expandables but I like the "Bone Shattering" capabilities of my Muzzy's!!By the way,love the looks of the new Montec Tekkans.....

I have never shot anything but Spitfires. I started with them because of the boast of accuracy and no need to retune for your broadhead. I have heard a number of comments about cut on contact heads flying just like field tips. I know Steel Force don't. Which ones act like field tip and require less/no bow tuning?
confused.gif

Steelforce 100 are the best broadheads BAR NONE! Take the expandables and throw them out the window. I've shot 4 deer in the past 2 years with steelforce and they were all dead in 50 yards. I hit 2 deer 3 years ago with expandables and never found the deer. Never got any penitration I hit the deer in the pocket and it seemed to me that broadhead skipped off the ribs or something. No blood and the shots were 25 yards and in!

As far as tuning, if you screw the steelforce on right so they the blades line up with the fletches they fly better than field pts.
I change the string on my bow every year and thats it.

main thing we gotta realize is that one brand off broadhead will fly perectly for one guy and like crap for another. i'm not going to cut down any other broadheads because if you put an arrow through both lungs the deer is dead...period. i've used several different broadheads (including expandables) and shot placement is the key factor when killing deer. if you're shopping for broadheads see if you can get a buddy or two to let you borrow a couple practice tips to play around with and go with what works the best out of your set up. if you do'nt want to re-tune your bow go with an expandable but make sure you're shooting enough kinetic energy to make a clean kill. sometimes the correct arrow and fletching combos are necesary to make some broadheads fly correctly in my experiences. keep the questions coming if you want.

Ironwood,
I have had good success with buying some teflon bushings to put on the broadheads. All you do is screw on the broadhead and tighten down, the bushing adjusts the broadhead so its in the plane of the shaft. Tuning broadheads has got nothing to do with fletchings, its all about making sure your shaft, insert, and broadhead lie in the same plane. You can check by spining them on end. If they spin like a top then u are tuned, if they wobble then something is out of line. If you really want to tune then glue your inserts in with 24 hour drying glue. Then u can spin them and adjust the insert. Unless there is a serious problem, the bushings should compensate for any small amounts of misalignment. I have had great success with every broadhead I have used. From expandables to fix blades. I guess its a preference thing for me.

ScottI.C.
I would have to watch somebody go through the steps you've just dicribed for it to sink in, it's plenty clear to me I have a lot to still learn about this great sport. Spitfires are working and I'll stick with them until I've played with something else enough to feel comfortable moving on. Over
grin.gif

Top Bottom