Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead choices

I have shot the steel force and was happy with them, Last year I switched to the thunderhead 100 and am very happy with these also. I would trust either of these broadheads.

Well Scott I.C. Every year I goto the local sporting goods store and buy 6 steelforce. I have the owner spin the 6 broadheads on 6 new arrows, he told me once you get the wobble out of the head you have to have the blades lining up with the fletches. It seems to work for me every year so I guess I'll stick with that!

Baldingeagle, with any broadhead it's important to remove any wobble, usually done by spinning and adjusting the head. But aligning the blades with the fletching isn't necessary. Unless you're shooting a 4 fletched arrow how does the guy line-up 4 blades with 3 fletchings anyway?
wink.gif

Tim

balding eagle - do you shoot 3 bladed steelforce broadheads or have 4 fletchings on your arrow?? after many years of working in archery shops i've never seen any truth in having blades line up with fletchings. from what i remember steelforce are either 2 or 4 blades and thee's no way to line them up with a 3 fletched arrow. they fly fine either way...usually.
smile.gif

main thing is that if it works for you, keep with it!!
smile.gif

Muddy, you're correct.Alignment of Broadheads and vanes makes no difference...EXCEPT that it makes for consistancy coming out of the bow. Archers paradox (I think its called) is the flexing of the shaft as the force is applied by the string. If all the blades are aligned the same, they will plane/steer the arrow consistantly till they settle and vanes stabilize and your groups will tighten some. Its not doing it right everytime...its doing it the same every time.

I almost forgot... I use 100 gr. Montecs. Recently we had a customer bring in an old beater bow that he longer wanted... so with nothing better to do, we did an experiment. We took an assorted group of broadheads and shot them into the limbs, & riser of the bow. I wont mention which BH didnt do squat but i will tell you that the Montecs and the SteelForce 2 blades did exceptionally well. Both had great cut on contact and completely seperated a single-limb down to the limb pockets, and nearly penetrated all the way through the riser! Just imagine what it would do to a shoulder blade

I'm just telling you what I have done every year and what I have had success with. Scott you know the owner as well as I do and know he is repitable. He lines up the two big blades with two fletches and I knock it with the other fletch down. I don't really know much about arrows and such and really don't care. I'm only telling you boys what works for me and I haven't missed the heart or lungs in 5 tries so I thought I'd offer some info that might help someone with problems. Wether it's key to flight or not it's what he told me to do and what I will continue to do because I've had good success with it.

Thunderhead 100's for me. Never had any trouble with them so why change now??

What do you guys think about 100 gr. VS 125 weight in broadhead? Maybe its just a question of what flies better? I've been using 125 Gr. Satellite broadheads and they flew fine but I'm going to experiement with different heads.

Personally I like the 100's because my fieldpoints are 100 grains. As long as your broadhead is tuned and fly's good you should not have to change your sights. Shooting a heavier head you might get some arrow drop requiring you to change your sight pins. If you practice with 125 grain fieldpoints you should be ok.

I have shot both but was wondering what people had for opinion. I like the idea of shooting my 125s like I have been so that way when I move on to larger game it will be the same as usual. I guess for my current set up, it probably wont be that big of a factor. Thanks for the imput!

Top Bottom