Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead Issues

petherss

Anyone have problems with your broadheads planing? I can't seem to get a consistent group. I can stack my field tips on top of one another, but as soon as I put my 3 blade 100 gr Muzzy's on, forget it. high to the left, high to right, wherever.

I've heard that I need to align the blades with the fletchings to make sure the wind currents are not fighting eachother. Anything to this? Has anyone found a broadhead that just doesn't seem to plane?? I'm thinking about trying mechanicals (ugh) or a 2 blade. Open to suggestions! Thanks

I had the same problem when I shot fixed blades. I switched to mechanical and haven't had a problem since. I know a lot of guys don't like mechanicals, for the fear that they won't open on contact, but if you put the arrow where you are supposed to, you will never have a problem!

I was never really worried about the mechanicals not opening and i'm sure they've come a long way in that respect. More than that are all the washers/rubber o-rings that seem mandatory with the mech's. There are enough things that can go wrong with bowhunting to have to worry about if that o-ring is holding the blades together. Another thing I just assumed is that they must be a bear to pull out of a target. Seems like you would have to push them thru the target instead.

I think I've seen a few mech's that don't require any o-rings and those might have promise. But like I say, I'll try anything to get tight, consistent groups!

paper tune your bow first.broad heads just increase bad flight due to poor tuning on bow.

I have had trouble with some of the steel force fixed blades but other than that most are somewhat easy to tune. I use Montecs but I have shot Muzzys,Wasps, and Thunderheads with no problems. I would spin your arrows with the broadhead on them and see if you get any wobble in the shaft or broadhead. Its possible that your inserts are not perfectly inline with your shaft. Another trick is putting a teflon washer on your broadhead, it will automatically square your head up with the shaft. You dont need to align your vanes with the blades, thats a myth. I would make sure your bow is tuned well before you try broadheads. Since you live in Michigan, I would go to Schupbach's sporting goods in Jackson. They will take care of any broadhead troubles you cant figure out.

I use Spitfire mechanicals. They don't use rubber bands or o rings. I have used them for the past 5 years, and gotten total pass thru on all of my shots except for one, and that was due to bad shot placement. In my opinion, these are the cat's meow!

Have done the spin test, checks out great. Just bought the bow and had it tuned. I was hitting little orange price tags at 15 yards with field tips. Put the broadheads on and seem to be losing that accuracy. I hate to go thru a half dozen different broadheads just to find one that flies decent. Oh well, wish in one hand- sh*t in the other eh???

Steve,
Get some Montec practice heads and shoot them, they fly the same as my field points out of my bow. I shoot jak hammers but if I were going to go to a true fixed head these would be the ones I would shoot. Just something to try without breaking the bank. I have no experience with the muzzy's. I know Boyd shoots them so he may have some words of wisdom for you.
grin.gif

I shot muzzy's most of my life and never had to re-tune my bow after I put them on. They did shoot a touch lower than my field tips, but I never had any problems with the arrows planing like the Steelforces do. What size fletchings do you use?

I would play around with the up and down on your rest, are you shooting a dropaway? I wouldnt go out and buy a bunch of broadheads just yet,they should all shoot for the most part.

I was having this identical trouble.

I have a buddy that shoots the identical bow as me. Everything the is the same except sights.

Mathews Outback, Dropzone rests, Beman ICS Hunter 400s with 4 in feathers (then also with 4in quik spin), 3 blade muzzys 100 gr.

We were both having the same trouble. When you would shoot the muzzy they would make a large clockwise circle out of the bow to the target in mid flight. The amount of the circle always looked worse but we were only getting about 6 in groups at best. Always different spots around the bulleye.

Quik Spin Speed Hunters in 2.25in fixed it.

The guy at the pro shop knew exactly what the trouble was as we explained it and told us what we would have to do to fix it.

Now my arrows are on the money with the muzzys.

Just my .02 worth.

Dean

I will try to remember to look tonight (I don't have all the specs memorized
crazy.gif
). Not sure what I can tell you right now that would help analyze what is going on. I would mention the bow, but I know you Mathews and Bowtech guys will start with THAT as my main problem. haha.

I will say this though, the guys at the archery shop were contemplating what weight arrow to set me up with. One thought it was too light and the other thought it would be ok if I wasn't going to increase my poundage any (I told him I have shot 65# or so my whole life and I'm not going to crank it up- that's where i feel comfortable and can pull back in 10 degree weather.....). I will get you the specs hopefully tomorrow.

ok, I looked last night, here are my arrow specs:

Beman ICS Hunter Elite 400 (8.4gpi) with 2" blazer vanes.

Thanks Guys
BC

Sounds like your arrows are underspined.

You should try 4 inch vanes with fixed blade broadheads and that long of arrows instead of the blazers.

My advice is get some 340's switch to 4 inch vanes. Paper tune the bow and the muzzys should fly great.

Top Bottom