Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead tuning question...

soofoocoo4

I am fairly new to the sport of bowhunting and brand new to this forum and I am trying to learn as much as I possibly can. There are some things that are still a little confusing for me though. So hopefully you guys will be able to clarify some things for me. I recently went down to my local bow shop and we paper tuned my bow. We got my bow to shoot perfect bullet holes. I was excited to get home and shoot my bow at my target from different distances and with my broadheads. My broadheads were shooting left just a little bit. So I came inside and started researching. Absolutely everywhere I read says that I need to broadhead tune and move my rest to the right until my broadheads meet up with my fieldpoints and then adjust my sight accordingly. I could just do that and not be so curious, but I am trying to learn the ins and outs of bowhunting and want to know why I am doing certain things to my bow! So, why in the world did we paper tune down at the shop and now I need to move my rest to fix my broadheads? Wouldn't the rest adjustment make my bow out of tune now? Why wouldn't I just move my sight?

(This is why I am confused.) After reading articles online and doing some research I went back down to the bow shop. The owner of the shop said that you never move your rest after paper tuning. He states that after paper tuning, the rest of your adjustments for your fieldpoints and broadheads should be with your sight. Great! So I am turning to you guys to straighten me out here! I would appreciate any help/insight on why I need to move my rest or maybe you agree with my bow shop. Thanks guys!!

"The owner of the shop said that you never move your rest after paper tuning. He states that after paper tuning, the rest of your adjustments for your fieldpoints and broadheads should be with your sight." :rolleyes:

You need to find a new shop. That info is absolutely incorrect :(

Paper tuning is just a start. Here is a thread I did on IW last year I believe on BH tuning.
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41752

If you did not paper tune the bow yourself it does you no good. Your grip, release and form is much different that the "tech". Also, it is only a snapshot in time of what your arrow is doing. Move back another 2 feet and its different etc.

Fixed blade broadheads will tell you if your arrow is flying true. Then after you can use any FBBH or mechanical to the same impact point. Also know that if your arrows are not spined correctly you will pull your hair out with FBBH. Good luck!

So you recommend to paper tune with fieldtips, walk back tune with fieldtips, and then shoot my broadheads and move my rest if needed from there? Thank you for your response and your advice!

You are absolutely correct :)

Sometimes you will find it goes against the rules, but mostly chase the fieldpoints with your rest and often after a walkback tune you are set with minimal adjustments. Also, buy a spinner to check each arrow before going crazy tuning then label them with a marker 1-10 etc so you know the ones that spin true.

Good luck!

Top Bottom