Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead weight on carbons

NWBuck

PMA Member
Finally decided to switch from my traditional 2317 aluminums to carbons. I bought a dozen Easton Axis 340's and have been shooting them for about a month now. The fly great and, like I hoped, shoot very flat from 0-30 yards...same pin. Last night I decided it was time to test them with my broadheads on. I used a 100 grain 3 blade muzzy and wow, these things dove hard at 22 yards. Probably 6 inches or more. I was very disappointed with their flight. Here's my question: anyone shooting a similar setup find that they need to back off to a 75 grain head? Sure hope not, but can't live with the poor flight I saw last night. Thanks for the help.

NWBuck

It sounds as if your nocking point on the string is too high or the rest is too low. Or, if they are grouping, you can simply readjust the sights to the new grouping.

I agree it sounds like your nocking point is too high. You should be able to lower your nock and shoot a group of FP and a group of BH. Keep adjusting until they are grouped together. Make sure your adjustments are very, very small. Probably easiest to move your rest up rather than your nock down. Then move your sight once that point is reached.

Depending on your setup (draw weight and arrow length) 340's might be overspined. If your shooting 65lbs or more and a 28" arrow or more, you should be fine with spine.

Putting on a 75gr broadhead would just give you more spine or vise versa a 125gr head would give you less spine. I wouldn't mess with this unless you can't get the 100gr head to tune.

I have a silly question, what was the weight of the field tips you have been practicng with?

Even if you were using 75 grain field tips and went to 100 grain Muzzys would the 25 grain difference make that big a drop in flight?

The 'Bonker

I had a similar experience yesterday...same set up, difference was my muzzy's are 4 blades. At 20 yards I was hitting 3 inches low or so not 6. They seemed to be grouping but in all honesty my small confidence level was whittled some more.
Bow tuning...................not too sure about myself.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I had a similar experience yesterday...same set up, difference was my muzzy's are 4 blades. At 20 yards I was hitting 3 inches low or so not 6. They seemed to be grouping but in all honesty my small confidence level was whittled some more.
Bow tuning...................not too sure about myself.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are grouping good and it's only 3" you could probably get away with just adjusting your pin (move it down a touch) so the BH hits where your aiming.

Might not be the best solution but the easiest fix to all these problems is shooting mechanicals. They will fly true to your field points.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you were using 75 grain field tips and went to 100 grain Muzzys would the 25 grain difference make that big a drop in flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely could, 25 grains difference is enough to change the spine reaction of your arrow. A lot depends on how well your bow is tuned. A well tuned bow is more tolerant of spine issues.

Well...did a little more experimenting yesterday and it isn't good.

First I got the square out to double check the nocking point. As I thought, it was right on. I should note that I'm shooting a 31 inch arrow at about 68 lbs. The carbons with 100 grain field points are darts. Group well and no fishtail action whatsoever. Put the muzzy on, and it fishtails and dives. Sometimes 3 or 4 inches, sometimes even more. Then, to double check, I got my 2317's out. At 22 yards...perfect. Both field points and muzzy. I guess it's true, that each setup is different, but it's clear that muzzy's with these arrows and this bow are not good. I think the conclusion I came to is that I've got a dozen Axis 340's for sale....cheap !

NWBuck

I could be reading the spine charts wrong, but I do not think your arrows mentioned are spined the same. The Axis 340 is underspined by quite a bit. Dropping the broadhead weight and/or shortening the arrow a little and/or lowing the draw weight might help a little bit probably isn't what you wanted to read.

We tried every Muzzy broadheads available last year and none of them flew worth a crap. My advice is shoot a different broadhead those axis arrows are awesome. You have pretty much the same set-up that my buddy had and we could not get the Muzzys to fly with the field points. I feel your pain man we spent about a week trying to get that bow to shooting better. We switched to Strikers and they flew like darts.

If you still want to sell your arrows pm and we will work something out on them.

[ QUOTE ]
Well...did a little more experimenting yesterday and it isn't good.

First I got the square out to double check the nocking point. As I thought, it was right on. I should note that I'm shooting a 31 inch arrow at about 68 lbs. The carbons with 100 grain field points are darts. Group well and no fishtail action whatsoever. Put the muzzy on, and it fishtails and dives. Sometimes 3 or 4 inches, sometimes even more. Then, to double check, I got my 2317's out. At 22 yards...perfect. Both field points and muzzy. I guess it's true, that each setup is different, but it's clear that muzzy's with these arrows and this bow are not good. I think the conclusion I came to is that I've got a dozen Axis 340's for sale....cheap !

NWBuck

[/ QUOTE ]

NW I had very similiar problems a couple years ago. It was very frustating. I just went back to aluminums and bingo! It went along way to helping my confidence.
Best of luck!!

Your 2317 aluminums are .297 spine - thats a little stiffer yet than the 300's and quite a bit stiffer than the 340's you're having troubles with. Also, a bow square only gives a starting point for nock height, fine tuning will show different depending on your grip style, bow cam design, cam timing issues, or even your choice of rest. Try some lighter points to stiffen your 340's or play around a little with your nocking point as mentioned before (very small adjustments) I've never had any trouble getting Muzzy's to shoot in anybodys bow.

The first thing you need to do is tune your bow.

Your nock point being level has nothing to do with it being in tune, that is just a starting point.

You need to paper tune your bow so it is shooting bullet holes through paper.
If you can't get it to do this, you will never get good results with fixed blade broadheads. To get it to paper tune it will more than likely be a little nock high or low.

After you have it tuned properly make sure your arrows are square at both ends with a squaring tool. If your broadheads is not perfectly square with the shaft of the arrow it will cause it to plane.

One you know the bow is tuned and the arrows are square, shoot your muzzys next to your field points. They should be dead on or very close.

My MX3's shoot dead on with my feild points after going through this process.

Good Luck!!!

Kind of late coming into this post, but I've experimented with different arrows, different fletches and different weight points.
I shoot 55 lb, 28" 4560 CX Term. Selects. Got best foc with 125g points. I've got some fletched with 2" Blazers, some with 4" Flexfletch vanes. With target points at 30 yards they are dead-on darts with either vane type. Switch to 125g 3-blade Muzzys and the arrow shoots left with the 4" vanes, but is DEAD ON accurate with Blazers. The difference is strange. Must be slightly better foc with blazers.
Previous posters mentioned better results with aluminums. In my book they really are more consistent than carbon, but my wife's garden has dozens of aluminums with broken tips, using them for plant stakes. (result of extreme distance 3-d shooting). So...back to carbons.

I will throw my 2 cents in along with Gunrunr's comments. He is very knowledgeable so he as well as everyone else is steering you in the correct direction.

Here is mine....... are your bh's spinning true? If you are getting wabble I guarantee you will get planning

Top Bottom