Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadheads and Tree Stands

SWIADEERHNTR

Come 'on Next Season....
Hey folks, I just got my first bow a few weeks ago and I'm so pumped for next year! I haven't gotten to shoot more than probably 40 arrows yet but I love it so far.

I have some questions on broadheads and tree stands.

First, the broadheads. I've pretty much decided on a Muzzy fixed blade broadhead (not starting a "discussion" on fixed/mechanical here...). What are the advantages/disadvantages from say the MX-3 and MX-4? I mean, they can be made to weigh the same, the cutting diameters are a little different but not much, does one affect arrow flight less/more?

For tree stands, I really can't decide. Obviously I'm on a budget and I can't decide where to spend my money on tree stands. I hunt private and public ground so I do have several spots but I won't be travelling all over to new places every day (say focus on 7 or 8 spots for discussion). In your opinion, am I better to spend $200 on a good portable or use that money for several ladder stands? I'm leaning towards the ladder stands. I wouldn't have to move my stand every time I change spots (since i'd have the one portable) and I would feel more comfortable in a ladder stand at first. I did find this one (http://www.leveragetreestands.com/) that is interesting (speed ladder). Anyone heard good/bad on this? I know its not even out yet so I don't know if there is much feedback yet.

Thanks for the help!

When I used to shoot muzzies I preferred the Mx-3 over the 4. For some reason the 4s would not fly worth a darn out of my bow. Probably bad tuning or something.

In my opinion buy a lonewolf alpha and a set of sticks. You can be in any tree you want in less than 10 minutes. Cost some money but I tell yah what worth every penny.

MX 3s are nice i now shoot rocket aeroheads meat seekers though swtched to expandable. For tree stands hard choice man more stands more oppurtunity and choices. Rivers edge ladders are nice have many of them, or Gorilla stands. The most comfortable in my opinion are summits but thats more money spent welcome to bow hunting haha. I have a summit climber its like a rocking chair.

Muzzys are always a good choice IMO. You won't be disappointed with a Lone Wolf either. Watch their vids on how to get up and down the tree, a little practice, and you won't be sorry.

I agree with the the lone wolf. Both broadheads should shoot the same once you get tuned with the 4 blade cutting a bit more tissue. Other than that both are quality heads. PM me as you gi through tuning this year and I will help any way I can. You will love Bowhunting :)

My first year bowhunting I used a Summit Viper climbing stand. It is very safe and comfortable, and you can cover a lot more ground, which is important when learning to bowhunt. Once you bugger a ladder stand, you have to relocate it, which is a pain. The only down side to climbers are you need straight trees.

As far as broadheads, I shoot slick tricks. Very similar to the 4 blade muzzy, but they are cheaper and fly better for me. I have shot the 100 gr. slick trick magnums for 3 years now and dont see myself changing anytime soon.

I shoot Rocket 3-blade Meat Seekers now but shot fixed blades for years....they fly straight as long as your bow is properly tuned. I highly recommend using the 'walk back tuning' method. Once you do this your broadheads will fly just like your field tips no matter which brand/style you shoot.

As far as a treestand goes, Lone Wolf or Muddy with sticks. I spent WAY too much money on cheap ladder stands and hang-ons before I finally spent the money on my LW Alpha hang-on and sticks. Now that is the only stand I use and the rest are collecting dust. I would especially recommend this type of set-up if you plan to hunt some public. You sleep a little easier when you don't have to worry about your stands getting stolen.

We hang about 10 stands a year, so generally for the ladder stands we go with rivers edge when they go on sale in spring or sometimes in the summer. for hang ons we go with gorilla mostly, personally i think you can go with a cheaper ladder stand but imo dont skimp if your going to go the hang on route.. you definetly want something with a good platform with plenty of room.

Like Huntyak said, MX-4s will cut more tissue, but I think the MX-3s have an overall larger cutting diameter. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. Before I switched to Shuttle-T Locks, I loved how my standard Muzzy 3-blades shot. Once my bow was properly tuned, I had field point accuracy out to 60 yards with them.

As for treestands, I was budget minded, too, and found a killer deal on a Gorilla Silverback Magnum and got it. Then I bought a set of LW sticks (used on this site). After practicing with my sticks and stand, I wish I would have held out for the LW stand. I love the sturdiness and light weight of the Gorilla, but once I crank it down against the tree, the strap is a bit of a pain to undue when you are rigged to the tree by a lineman's rope and your feet are on two little pegs. I'm seriously contemplating switching the strap to a ratchet-strap. As for getting set up quickly with this style of set-up, listen to the guys here. I'm sure with more practice (full intentions), I'll be able to be up and ready in 10 minutes instead of taking 20-30 and looking like a monkey doing you-know-what to a coconut. After my 1st practice session, I can honestly say I'm excited to start using this set up in AZ in the future. Go LW all the way!

Lone wolf for a stand/stick combo

A bow tuned with properly spined arrows should shoot bullet holes with any broadhead....either will work out fine

Thumbs up for the lonewolf and sticks. I shoot rage 2 blade and G5 montecs.

As Shredder said,

A bow tuned with properly spined arrows should shoot bullet holes with any broadhead....either will work out fine
Best thing you can do is find a good archery shop and have them help tune your bow. Pay attention to what they do and learn how to properly tune it yourself

This will be a little different than most but, I use all Ameristep rapid rails and Gorilla hang on stands. They are every bit as fast as the LW's are and you can buy 3-4 set ups for the price of the LW's. The Gorilla stands IMO are just as solid as the LW and just as light if you go with the silverback series. The rapid rails are 59.99 for 4 steps and will get you easily 18-20 feet depending on your comfort level. They also make an aluminum series, a little more pricey and only come with 3 sections. I have 9 sets of the steel rapid rails and 16 Gorilla kong series stands and I have never had a problem with any of them. I also have a few Big Game stands and they are solid and inexpensive, but heavy. If you are on a budget I would look into some of the combo packs. Ameristep and Big Game both offer these, but they have pretty small platforms on the stands offered in the combo pack. Good luck!

Thank you everybody for the feedback! I really appreciate the help! I will have to check out some of the stands you all suggested at the classic if they are on display. I know what to look for now.

Thanks again!

Lone Wolf stands, Slick Tricks or Magnus for fixed heads, Spitfires for mechanicals. There are many broadheads that will get the job done, but a squeaky, unstable treestand, is not an option for me. That is why I use Lone Wolf.

Top Bottom