Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

broadheads for gobblers?

S

ssteury

anyone know what works and what doesn't for archery turkey hunting?
I've heard stories of difficult recoveries and would appreciate any wisdom on arrow setup...

I like gators 85gr. attached to a carbon express 100 carbon arrow and my bow set at about 55-57 pounds. I'm still shooting about 290fps. What you want to happen when you shoot a turkey with an arrow is almost opposite of what you want to happen when you shoot a deer or other big game. That is, you want the arrow to stay in the bird rather than have a pass through. And if you do shoot a turkey, make sure and get on him right away. Two years ago in Nebraska I shot a jake at about 10yds and he did the crappie flop right in front of me and expired. Just then another one came over and got on top of the dead turkey and I shot him off the dead one, my first double! Both were piled up within 20 yds of my doublebull blind. Good luck and tip over a big tom. Tony

i like a muzzy with an adder point behind it to keep the broadhead in the bird. thinking about trying a rocket expandable this year.

I shot my gobbler this year with a 100 grain spitfire expandable broadhead and the bird died on impact. The cutting diameter is incredible but the broadhead demolished the bird including some of the meat. I wouldn't recommend the expandable for deer because of an unfortunate incident this year with a buck I shot. Broadheads are like cars, some people prefer fords and some prefer chevy's.

BT

I've taken the last 5 gobblers with the same head I use on everything else, Rocket steelheads. They have all either flopped over on the spot or gone 30 yards or less.

I think arrow placement is extremely important. Study your next dead bird when you clean it. The chest cavity (lungs and heart) are quite high on a gobbler because they have such large breast muscles. If you can take out a wing at the same time, so much the better.

I also like gobblers very close. Most of my shots are in the 5-15 yard range from a double bull or home built blind.

Good Hunting!
Old Buck

Jak-Hammers, Spitfires, Rockets. It is my opinion the larger the hole the better on these birds. There are many people that argue about using them on deer but I have heard little arguing on using them on turkeys...

Any kind of mechanical works well on turkeys. I've seen too many gobblers get away when using fixed blades. I have on film my buddy center punching a bird at 8 yards with a fixed blade. It flew up in a tree for about ten minutes then glided at least a mile when he couldn't hold on anymore. Coyotes got him. The next day same thing except the hit bird rolled a few times down a hill, layed there for a minute then got up and flew away.

We then bought some little wire device that slides over your arrow shaft (I believe made by Zwickey) and placed them right behind the broadhead. That was the ticket... it noodled the next bird because he absorbed the energy of the arrow.

I'm with old buck.

I don't like to change my set up for turkeys then change it back for deer. When I pull my bow back I want to know the result.

I will say that if I hunted turkeys and only turkeys I would use mechanical broadheads.

I shoot 125 Thunderheads at everything from elk to turkeys. Any broadhead will work, as long as it is put in the right spot. Nothing is more important than shot placement. and the heart lung area is the best shot. Learn the vital area on a turkey. When you are presented a shot its vitally important to really concentrate on the vitals, and not get in a hurry. Don't let the fear of not getting a shot control the situation. Its far better to not get a shot, than to punch through in a bad spot and watch your turkey fly or run off.

Top Bottom