Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bubble level on sight

timekiller

No, you can't pet him.
Tonight when I went out to shoot I noticed that the bubble level was gone from my sight.(It must have fell off in the timber last night) I shot without it, and my groups were tighter than when I shot with it. When it was still on there I really paid attention to whether or not it was level-probably too much. My questions are:
Could I have been torquing my grip somehow when I was trying to "level" the bow?
and
Does anyone use/not use the level on their site? How important is the thing?
I notice that about every sight has one, and I figure it wouldn't be there if not necessary. Right now I think that I am going to leave the sight on without it because it felt alot less complicated not worrying if the dang thing was level. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I honestly don't pay too much attention to the level to mine. I just try to keep a relaxed grip (I wear a lightweight glove on my bow hand at all times to help this) and make sure that I keep holding the bow up after the shot (instead of immediately dropping my arm). Good form will go along ways towards shooting good group. Shoot however feels most comfortable and gives you the best results.

Having shot way too much 3D on different types of terrain and starting without a level, I found out just how important I think it is. However, I still concentrate on a spot on the target more than anything. The bubble is something that you check at first when you draw but then just see out of the corner of your eye. Focus on the target (and as small of a spot as possible).

My sight has a level on it, but I dont think I have ever looked at it during the aiming process. I think its a valid concept, but I have way too many variables to think about when a buck show up already.

I dont look at mine because I don't hold my bow level. If I try to make it level, it feels very uncomfortable and I can't hit anything.
blush.gif

I have one as well and used it at first but now I never use it. I think more about where I want the arrow to go rather than if the bow is level.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont look at mine because I don't hold my bow level. If I try to make it level, it feels very uncomfortable and I can't hit anything.
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto I've tried it a few times but it seems like I'm straining to much and concentrating on that rather than target.

I agree with 150 class, taking a quick look at the level has become second nature. On the advice of several excellent archer buddies, I do think they make a difference...

I think it has helped my shooting a bunch to have a level on. If you have a level on your sight it will help you be more consistent while practice shooting and hunting in the stand. Subconsiously you will keep the bow level wether you look at it or not. But, to each his own, I wouldn't be without one.

This is the first year I've had one. Can't really be sure it made a difference. I'm sure it hasn't hurt either though. I used to look at it every time I'd shoot. Now I can tell if my bow is level just from the way it lines up with the world. I'll be sighting and think I'm off a little and sure enough I'm about half a bubble off, the bow not me. Every so often I check myself, if I think the bow is level I'll look at the level and confirm that it is. Leveling the bow really came fast for me, wish everything else did.

The 'Bonker

Bonker, why are you checking yourself while at full draw
shocked.gif
Man that could be dangerous
grin.gif

I believe the level is a great helper to keep you from torqueing your bow hand. Also I have been trying to shoot when it is extremely windy with a cross wind to see what affect it has and man that level comes in very handy at that point. Level will keep you from "canting" your bow

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto I've tried it a few times but it seems like I'm straining to much and concentrating on that rather than target.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuf said.

When you cant your top limb to the right, you will hit low and to the right. Left and you will hit low and left. Probably not enough for a miss but sometimes enough for a bad hit, which is worse than a miss. The level is your friend and you need to practice with it and get used to using it and use it. JMHO

Top Bottom