Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck Harvest Question

doob02

PMA Member
I have a question for everyone and will have a harvest photo to show in due time. We hunted shotgun long and hard and ended up with one good buck. However we had a buck of a lifetime pass by a few in a group and we were able to get a bullet in the buck but we were unable to get the buck down and at the end of the day he had gotten away...... Needless to say yesturday my brother was able to see the buck again and had a muzzy tag. He walked in on the buck and was able to get a shot. A hard quartering away shot. He did draw blood but it was getting dark and he felt with not enough blood to track, that he would let the buck go for the night and pick up track today. He picked up the track today and was able to find the trophy. The buck had in deed been hit during shotgun season and also had a busted rear leg from who knows what. While my dad and my brother were loading the deer in the truck he shed an antler. Devistating!!!!! This deer is one for the record books.... My question is will this deer still be able to be scored. This buck will go in the top 5 of all muzzy kills in iowa for a typical muzzy killed buck. Any advice or help is appreciated....

Thats a heart breaker. This deer Cant be scored and entered into the record books now.
Id love to see the pics though!

This is a complete heartbreaker.... But this is also a prime example of a hunter taking care of business before nature did... This buck was on his way down (due to nature and a past hunters shot) Tall Tines as we named him had survived 2nd season shotgun after being hit during 1st season. He went right back to the section that we first hunted him in. He was a warrior and will always have a spot on my brothers wall....

Last edited:
That is an amazing buck. How long are the brow tines? I don't think I would really be that upset about not making the record books considering he probably would not have made it through the winter looking at that leg in the picture, better to take him and have him shed like that than find him dead later on. Congratulations to your brother.

As others stated, he cannot be officially scored for BNC, you can always just get us a rough score on that brute tho!! :D

SHED ANTLERS/SPLIT SKULLS
Shed antlers, as well as any set of antlers with a split skull plate, are not eligible for entry in the Club’s Awards Programs and/or records books, regardless of how well they have been restored to their original condition. This is because the inside spread, which is an integral part of the final score of antlered trophies, cannot be accurately determined if the skull plate is absent or split. If an official measurer suspects that a set of antlers he or she is measuring is either shed antlers or a split skull, he or she should contact the Club’s headquarters for instructions on x-raying that trophy. This policy applies to trophy specimens of deer, caribou, moose and elk, as well as pronghorn.

This is off the B&C webpage

Awesome buck and glad your bro could get him. That would indeed be one heck of a heartbreaker to find dead and likely with no antlers. Unfortunate about the non eligability for B&C.

For those of you who can't find the pics, see doob's post yesterday at 11:58pm. There is a link to the gallery.

Do not give up on the score until you get an Official ruling from Boone and Crockett. In some instances current rules allow entry if it is obvious that NO attempt to enhance the score is made.

Top Bottom