Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck Roar

RichardM

Well i still havent put a tag on anything yet but i did have a great time in the woods today.. This morning things were really slow so i went home to get a bite to eat and warm up i only live a mile from were i hunt so it doesnt take me too long to slip out and switch stands..well on the way home there was a real good buck standing in my neighbors little campground getting a drink so i stopped the truck and watched him for about ten min.he didnt get spooked at the truck and i was only sixty yards from him tops so i used my grunt tube to see if i could get a rise out of him and he started comming in to the truck then stop start to go away then come back after a few min of this he let out what i think was the buck roar about five times and stood there it sounded like someone just cracked a cow with electric prod.well then another car started down the road and he took off i could have shoot that deer but thats NOT the way i hunt shooting it on the neighbors land and off the road is not hunting as far as im concerned. Anyway after i got done doing a few things at home i went back out about one or so about a hour before dark i did a few grunts and almost instantly there was the same roar down in the brush so i grunted back again he never did get close enough for a shot but it was pretty cool to see. If i didnt have the run in with him in the morning i would not known what the heck that noise was so do you think it was a roar or just his grunts or what.

I was sitting in a treestand about 2 years ago on a fenceline when a buck came through chasing a doe. The doe wasn't ready and was trying to avoid the buck. He was obviously one of the dominate bucks in the area and she was keeping a spruce tree between the buck and her. I was watching from about 40 yards with no shot but the show was pretty cool. He kept "barking" at her to get her to move. At least that's what it sounded like to me. I didn't know it at the time, but I'm sure it was the "roar" that I was hearing. After hearing the promo for the "Buck Roar" call, that was what I had heard. The buck got bored after a while and mosied off, end of story. I never saw that buck again but I'll always remember that sound!

I first heard that sound in a similar situtaion in the early 1980's and I tried to reproduce it with every grunt call available I think for 20 years. Nothing worked. The buck roar is the closest thing I have heard... way better than the drury growl. Last year I turned around a ten-point buck from 150 yards with the roar. He spun around and came right in. I just blow hard into it and it sounds like a BLAAAAT.

This year I started using it some without the resonation chamber on it. It creates a really deep grunt that sounds like a mature buck and it's loud enough to get their attention from a long ways away.

It's the only grunt call I carry these days. The only other call I have with me is the can and I have not had nearly as much success with it.

Top Bottom