Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck to doe Ratios....

Bowhunt

While hunting our farm this weekend I was successful in seeing about 50 deer on Saturday. 3 of which were 1.5 year old bucks, and one 4.5 plus aged deer(which I missed).
I am going to do my part to help fix this by filling my doe tag during the shotgun season. I think that alot of our neighbors do not really care, but I would like to see a better ration myself. I was just wondering if you guys were seeing these kinds of skewed buck and doe numbers?

Yeah i seem to have a good number of Does to Bucks ratio, but not too out of hand, that why i bought a doe tag for archery

It happens every year. We all plan on trying to only take trophies. But it doesn't really work if no one participates. I hunt in hardin county iowa nad have ben seing real good ratios. Every year people hunt the area and shoot little bucks that they cut the antlers off and a year later throw them in the trash. I feal if you aren't going to mount it don't shoot it. It's hard to get a eberyone to participate though. This past weekend i did my good deed of the year by killing a wounded small buck that someone had shot the lower jaw off. i didn't want to take that deer but felt obligated to finish the deers suffering. People who take pot shots at deer really chap my hide. I can't stand that. The past two seasons I've taken wouded deer, where the wounds were just terrible shots. Last years was a rear shot from behind. if you don't have the shot don't take it. But as far as doe to buck ratios, it's hard to convince someone especially first and second time shotgun hunters to pass on smaller bucks. Whats small to me is huge to others. That goes with out saying.

Hunting western Davis and eastern Appanoose countys this year, there was no doubt that deer numbers were down somewhat since 1998 when I last was drawn, but the ratio seemed to be better. I think the liberal doe tags are working. They are working in north Missouri for sure as everyone seems to be seeing a lot more big Bucks down here.
Still not like Iowa, but maybe someday...........

Shooter,
Man i cant agree with you more!!!! i cant stand to think people just shoot at a deer anywhere on their body, and people who shoot at a deer on the run, lots of times you wont get a good hit. I'm a person who does not agree with deer drives. I think they are no good, you hurt the animal, and too often hurt other hunters. sometimes they have to shoot it 3 times before it dies, thats not right, you should only take a shot if you know you can make a 1 shot clean kill, doing the animal little harm, and let them rest in peace!

Top Bottom