Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck Valley Lodge outside Eddyville?

Rackmup65

Anyone ever hear how they are doing? They bought some ground between Eddyville and Albia and leased several acres but I have not heard if they are in business yet or what was going on with their venture.

Looks like they offer both "preserve hunts" or free range. I guess if you want to be an outfitter high fence is the way to go.
confused.gif

Unfortunately, I am afraid we are looking at the future of our "sport". My freind and I took a drive through the area around SE Monroe county during the second week of Nov. and saw more out of state plates than on the interstate. I am not sure about outfitter deer being entered with traditional fair chase but I think we are looking at the future.

I think it is a matter of time before we see many parts of IA turn into Pike, Knox and Fulton Counties in IL. These areas are run down with outfitters. We have had one move into our neck of the woods the last three years in IL, they are a good bunch of guys (the guides and owners) but bringing in 27 guys a week to hunt the rut has really taken its toll on their ground. Fortunately, it has actually made our hunting a bit better since they seem to run alot of deer of their ground permanently.

We need to keep letting our voices be heard in IA, if you keep the out of state tag numbers down, the outfitters won't be able to survive, at least not the fair chase ones. I know that the same outfitters that lease around our ground in IL also have some ground in the Mt. Pleasant area. They were only able to book 15 bow hunters all year, due to the low number of non-resident tags, whereas they book several hundred in IL. Anyhow, I hope I never see the day where I have to shell out cash to hunt deer, and especially would hate to see the high fences take over.

Some day when I win the lottery I will become a trophy hunter! How much does Pope and Young and the Boone and Crockett charge to become a member? Ha,Ha....

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a matter of time before we see many parts of IA turn into Pike, Knox and Fulton Counties in IL. These areas are run down with outfitters. We have had one move into our neck of the woods the last three years in IL, they are a good bunch of guys (the guides and owners) but bringing in 27 guys a week to hunt the rut has really taken its toll on their ground. Fortunately, it has actually made our hunting a bit better since they seem to run alot of deer of their ground permanently.

We need to keep letting our voices be heard in IA, if you keep the out of state tag numbers down, the outfitters won't be able to survive, at least not the fair chase ones. I know that the same outfitters that lease around our ground in IL also have some ground in the Mt. Pleasant area. They were only able to book 15 bow hunters all year, due to the low number of non-resident tags, whereas they book several hundred in IL. Anyhow, I hope I never see the day where I have to shell out cash to hunt deer, and especially would hate to see the high fences take over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand where you are coming from. Outfitters are guys who are trying to make a living doing what they love and I sure don't blame them. I just hate to see where it will lead. I beleive our state legislature will have us there within 5 years no matter what we think. We will all continue to fight the good fight but it will be very difficult for us. I for one will move on to something else when Iowa becomes a Texas or Wisconsin. It will hit Iowa harder than any other state because of our lack of timber available.

Top Bottom