Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bud caps

Has anybody tried putting bud caps on conifer trees? Just wondering if this helped. Is this the main part that deer would eat, the main leader and not the limbs?

Up in MI, when I had white pine small enough to be chewed, I did that. Wrapped main leader buds with masking tape for over winter. It usually came off by summer when deer left them alone, but these Iowa deer,,I fear eat everything! I planted a 100 white pine they were eaten to the ground in no time!

They eat all the new buds on white pines! Hanging a little bar of fragrant soap (hotel/motel size), on each one seems to help a lot, both with eating buds as well as rubbing. Not 100% but well worth the time. Buy unwrapped bars in bulk online.

I have said this before, but the best deter by far is a sweaty shirt hung on a tree or fence. A good working, sweat soaked, shirt. Better than soap or any product..

May not work with a big planting obviously, but it does keep deer away. I have even made a scare crow type, human form, with a stinky, sweaty, shirt on it. Stood it out in some trees planted. A smelly human form works too. Until deer figure out it really is not a live human.

I was told by a Christmas tree farmer that they use human hair. Visit your favorite salon owner. He said it will last 3 to 4 months. He also said when he put it on a long time game trail the hair stopped them cold from using it.

Top Bottom