Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buddy Heaters in enclosed blinds?

stevep

I know a lot of people use the Buddy heaters in enclosed blinds such as the Redneck blinds. What are the safety concerns as far as carbon monoxide? Can you run one in a blind for an evening and not have to be concerned about it?

I'm don't know about all models, but I'm pretty sure one (if not both) of my buddy heaters have an automatic shut-off if it senses Carbon Monoxide.

Have run Buddy heaters in pretty tightly enclosed blinds for 10+ years. No problems at all. They are very safe. Reports are that at high altitudes the O2 levels are low enough that they don't work very well, but at lower elevations a sensitive O2 sensor is a good thing. You also need to be very slow when moving a lit heater or the "tip over" sensor will shut it off. PIA, but very safe!

Ran one in my basement last year, in a room that is prolly 12x12. Had a CO detector in the room. Either the batteries are dead in the detector, which would explain some things, or it was safe.

The only thing I noticed was my throat was a little raw after sitting in the room for about 10 hours.

My bros use em and like em and I didnt care for em when I tried them. Maybe it's in my head but I thought they always gave me a headache. I wear regular camo and don't seem to get cold in a blind out of the wind usually. Maybe I'll try em again but a couple years ago I just remember problems with window fog (maybe I did something wrong - any solutions or did I goof up??? If I can fix that - open to suggestions!) & headaches. Headaches with that stuff spook me out but again, maybe it was coincidence.

Skip, the headaches were from your Ozonics... ;)

Yes, and we don't ventilate when we're smoking weed or our Meth & Opium pipes in the blind. That should be in fine print when I make these statements. Kidding. I get spooked out by all that stuff that can mess with your health, whether I can back it up or not, I just know I take the path of caution with anything like that since I spend so much time around that stuff. I suppose I'm a hypocrite with how much I'm around all those nasty farm chemicals though. I'll especially avoid any of this stuff, just in case, if there's kids with me.

Last edited:
Anything that produces heat via open flame produces carbon monoxide and moisture which collects on the inside of the blind. Good ventilation is the key, crack a window or door.

Anything that produces heat via open flame produces carbon monoxide and moisture which collects on the inside of the blind. Good ventilation is the key, crack a window or door.

Man my memory is bad!!! That's another reason i remember not liking them... I remember now- the windows fogged up so I had to open a window or 2. I just prefer to be more enclosed and a little more scent free and the open window kinda made me feel like every deer that got downwind was gone. But maybe I'm wrong. I guess I can't say I don't have problems with fog without the heater but usually not as bad. No perfect solution. My sissy bros will keep em in the blind & for now I'll pry stick to my camo. But who knows, I get to be more of a sissy every year. :)

I run one in my blind and it's sealed pretty tight. I usually have one or two windows cracked and after I get some heat in the blind the windows stay pretty clear. I set all day before sun up to after sun down and the one thing I don't like to be is cold, so it's pretty cozy in the blind. No gloves or coat needed and I made a stand that sets over the top of the heater and works like a stove. I have a small pan that easily holds a can of soup, stew, or any left overs and having something hot with a sandwich is pretty nice on a cold day.

I've gotten a headache while running one during ice fishing in a shanty.

That's what i was remembering too. I remembered it was actually 2 years ago I used one several times. Did have windows cracked and got a pounder every time I used one. Maybe defective unit putting on too much co2? Dunno but that was it for me.
I was thinking of our friends in the great Canadian wilderness- don't u think these things are almost a "must have" for those guys who usually sit sun up to Sun down? Wonder if they actually can hunt up there all day like that without feeling cold!?!?! I'm tough and wanna hunt Canada but I'll admit- that level of cold has me nervous. I've sat in wide open treestands with 5-15 degree days and I can take it but crazy to think -10, -20 or whatever. Think bout treestands in Iowa when it's 25 and windy- pretty cold right?
15 degrees here in a blind with no heater and some killer camo has me pretty comfy though.

Only once did I have a problem with frost on the window, that was two years ago when it was -16 degrees, but set the heater under the window and it defrosted.

C3H8 + O2 = CO2 + H2O​
The buddy heaters do not produce carbon monoxide thus they are safe for indoor use and don't send sensors off in basements.​
CO (Carbon Monoxide) is only produced when a heater is not regulated right and an incomplete burn occurs which can be something to watch in big heaters. Fog/frost are a result of water vapor off-gasing. It's the reason we try to avoid temporary propane heat sources during construction. It creates too many humidity problems with finishes. It is considered a "wet" heat source. (Natural gas burns much "dryer")​

My buddy heater has a shut off. Thought it was for carbon monoxide? Maybe it's low oxygen? In my homemade tower blind, I can't run both burners or it will shut down. Blind isn't well sealed in my opinion. Guessing no way it will run in new blind I built. That's very welled sealed, but also why I insulated it.

Top Bottom