Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bullet Choice

abrendes

I just bought a new CVA 50 cal muzzleloader and I wanted to get some opinions on bullets. Looking to shoot 100 grains of Pyrodex for deer season next year. Trying to decide what Powerbelt option to go with. Any help is appreciated.

Do yourself a favor and buy the blackhorn 209 breech plug and shoot it rather than pyrodex. As for bullets, I'd highly suggest Barnes. Sorry to completely go against what you were thinking, but that is my recommendation.

I shoot 295 aero tip powerbelts with 2 triple 7 pellets. They are easy to load and accurate. But, I did shoot a doe at 50 yds this yr, put her down bit she got up and ran off without 1 drop of blood. Unsure why? Would like to switch to BH209 and Barnes for next season, lots of high praise. I also shoot a CVA, V2 Accura

I agree with the blackhorn 209 breech plug and Barnes 290 or 250 grain Barnes TMZ. I am not a fan of powerbelts as I used to shoot them. Seemed like I rarely got a pass through and blood wasn't all that great. Dropped quite a few with them but I also had a few fizzle out the barrel as well. Thats why they make all kinds though as everyone likes something a little different.

Another vote for blackhorn. I used the pyrodex pellets and the difference that I can say for sure was cleaning was much easier to do after shooting the blackhorn and it don't corrode the gun like pyrodex can if you don't clean it right away.

I highly encourage you not to shoot powerbelts. Research them and you will find they have been a most common denominator in a lot of lost deer. The only two deer I have ever lost and I have shot close to a hundred deer were shot with powerbelt bullets. Around 15 of those were with muzzle loader and the rest were with center fire rifle.

Yes it is loose powder. So there is a factor in there that it's not as easy as pellets, but it is so much more consistent and clean it is well worth the extra step to measure loose powder. It also has a higher flash point than other powders such as pyrodex or triple seven, hence the need to buy a different breach plug.

I will also agree with others that powerbelts are junk. I used them for a couple years. Decent accuracy but their weight retention upon impact is horrible. My experience was they just exploded in the deer, little bits of copper everywhere. The last straw was a similar experience like the others have said. Nailed a doe from about 70 yards. Hit her right in the sweet spot and she dropped. We finished the push and came back to get her and she was gone. Followed blood until we lost it, never found the deer.

It is loose, but not a traditional loose powder. Some may find it a pain but I love the stuff. As stated couple it with a 290 or 250 grain(I have used both and both shot great) Barnes TMZ and you have a deadly combination. One note is that Blackhorn burns hotter. 120 grains of Blackhorn is the equivalent to 150 grains of 777 or Pyrodex. I found that 90 grains shoots the best out of my Accura V2.

So I think you guys have sold me on it. I am new to this, sorry for all of the questions. How do you handle the loose powder after a hunt and you haven't fired the gun?

I personally throw the powder away if I never fire the gun. I leave it loaded until I fire the gun or until season is over. The jug isn't expensive and me and two brothers have been on the same jug for over 2 years. I don't want to risk putting some powder that may have some moisture from the elements or condensation back into the jug of powder so I just throw it. But that's just me.

Last edited:
So I think you guys have sold me on it. I am new to this, sorry for all of the questions. How do you handle the loose powder after a hunt and you haven't fired the gun?

I load my gun day one of season. It stays loaded until I shoot it. I also carry a fanny pack with three speed loaders that have a powder charge, bullet and primer with each. Those are with me anytime I am hunting as well. The only time I unload my gun during the season is if I think there's a chance the powder may have gotten wet. Condensation is the most common issue. Taking your gun out in below freezing temps and then going home and taking it inside is a no no in my mind. From cold to hot, the gun will sweat and can possibly get the loaded powder wet. Now, in my case I hadn't shot my gun at all since the beginning of late season and was making myself worried about the powder possibly being wet, so last week I shot it just to make sure. No issues, but I feel better now having a fresh charge in the gun to finish the season. Also, another thing with the blackhorn 209. Do not use the muzzleloader 209 primers. Use a shotgun 209 primer. CCI or Winchester shotshell primers will work. In my Accura V2 I use the winchester primers because they are slightly longer than the CCI primers and seal the rear of the gun better. I was having all sorts of blow back from the CCI primers.

Don't worry about all the questions, that's what we are here for!

Again, thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it. To summarize, I have a CVA 50 cal Optima V2 and it sounds like a Winchester shotgun primer, 90 grains of Blackhorn and a 290 Barnes TMZ would be the best? I will get the new breech plug from CVA. Thanks again and let me know if I am off course.

Again, thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it. To summarize, I have a CVA 50 cal Optima V2 and it sounds like a Winchester shotgun primer, 90 grains of Blackhorn and a 290 Barnes TMZ would be the best? I will get the new breech plug from CVA. Thanks again and let me know if I am off course.

Yes but don't be completely stuck on the powder charge. I shoot 110 grains and shoot a very nice group. I do need to play with the charge size a bit to see if I can shrink my group down a bit. Each gun is different and will like a different load. 90 grains (volume) is a good place to start and maybe increase 5 grains at a time to see what the gun likes best. Don't go above 120 grains (volume) with the blackhorn 209 powder.

Another note with the Barnes. The TEZ and the TMZ are the same bullets. The only difference is the TEZ has a slightly thinner sabot for easier loading. I went with the TMZ for the Accura because I like a tight fit. It's a little tough to push down but not terrible. EDIT!! Nevermind. I had to double check myself on this and I guess I am wrong. Sorry about that. The TMZ is a boat tail bullet, the TEZ is a flat base. Huh....Learn something new everyday I guess!

AIRASSAULT - That's amazing!

Last edited:
That is one heck of a blood trail. One last question, is there a place you would recommend for purchasing the supplies? Thanks again.

I got the Blackhorn and Barnes bullets at Scheels. Got my speed loaders and powder measuring cylinder as well as a funnel type container there as well.

Late to the party here, but I will echo what everyone else is saying and recommend Blackhorn 209 and Barnes TEZ 290 grain bullets. Fly great, mushroom nicely, and leave better blood trails than pretty much any other muzzleloader bullets I've tried.

Top Bottom