Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bullet questions for new CVA Optima V2

cjc77z4

Hi everyone...I am new to muzzleloading and have found that this his a whole different animal to anything that I have done. I have been reading on here for a while....trying to narrow down what I want to shoot out of my Optima. I really wanted to try Barnes TEZ due to their raving reviews. So here's where I am at.

Went to Scheels today and picked up some white hots and some Hornady SST Low Drag 250 grain. I wanted the Barnes tez also but they only had the expander mz 250 and 300. I have read that people can't get these down the barrel of the Optima V2 l.....that's why i wanted the TEZ.

Well I get to looking and they had Remington Premeir Accutip sabots in stock. I get to reading and it's basically a Barnes TEZ 250 with a green sabot that is made to shoot out of the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader ONLY.

My question is...can I shoot these out of the Optima V2 as is? second....I have thought about putting the Barnes TEZ in to the red sabot that came with the Hornady SST 250's. I have read that people have had success with that. Lastly.....what other sabots should I look at to pair with the Barnes TEZ 250?

Any help would be appreciated.

Might want to look at Parker bullets. I personally have not shot them but I just learned about them myself A disabled vet I took hunting told me how great they were with expansion, penetration, and blood trails. I was very skeptical and told him so but the two deer that were shot that trip, the bullets had great penetration, quarter size entrance and exit holes, and a blood trail even I(I'm color blind) could follow easily. Usually I need snow to follow a trail. The ones he was using were the ones with the black tip but not the match hunter ones. I will be using them next year.

The Parkers BE's are a very accurate bullet, either 250 gr or the 275 gr, So are the Harvester PT GOLDS.

Another possible sabot to try with the Barnes bullets are the harvester crush ribs. You should be able to pick them up at theisens. Another option would be go to mmpsabots.com website. They should have a couple different 50 cal options.

I'm currently shooting the 290 grain TMZ out of my accura v2. They are tough going down, not horrible, but tough. But they shoot great. I have not tried the TEZ. I've order all of mine online. For some reason it seems most stores don't carry them.

Parker 275g ballistic extreme u will not be disappointed. I shoot them out of a cva accura v2 long range muzzleloader with a Burris c4 plus scope. I shot a 180 in 11pt in southern Illinois this year at 275 yards , he went 40 yards.

If you want to try something else deadly (& accurate), check out the Bloodline bullets. They are marketed by Knight but I suspect still made by Lehigh. They are solid brass and rather than expand, they are designed so that shortly after entry, six petals separate off the front of the bullet & "go their own way" wreaking havoc with whatever they encounter en route! Just did an "autopsy" on a buck my wife shot with a 250 grain 50 cal. Bloodline & it looked like someone had put a hand grenade in his heart! I've seen a lot of hearts hit with bullets/slugs but never seen that sort of trauma.

Top Bottom