Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Bully" Bucks

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
There is an interesting video clip (December 12th) Gun Season Success on Midwest Whitetail. The story line is a nice buck is shot on a small farm in Iowa. This buck moved around quite a bit.

The nice buck moved onto the small farm shortly after an older mature buck with a poor rack---a bully buck was shot during the archery season.

I thought this clip was great video evidence of what I have thought is an important part of land management. This "bully buck" theory was debated on another thread and not all landowners agree that it is important to take out these "bully" bucks.

Personally, I am very convinced this is the case, as I personally experienced something similar. Anyway, check it out, it is a good episode and it might convince landowners to take out the "bully"!!

I too was impressed. Glad we shoot for age on my place and not antlers...that way they all get to express their potential. Can't say that I have a particular "bully" on my farm. Except for this buck (neighbors cam pic) :D

Awesome11-3.jpg

He is a very aggressive deer and there is never a pic of him with another buck on the feed (we put that out early to get pics of whats available). There are bigger bodied deer on this spot, but never with this guy.

Pretty sure he is this buck from 2 years ago and you can see he is posturing up to this older 6 in this pic. A buck like that can bully all he wants, but that is usually not the case when it comes to antler size.

NeighborDeer.jpg

Last edited:
Back in early November I was hunting over a food plot where a huge bodied buck frequently visited. This buck would only score in the 140's as a 10. There were 4 other bucks in the plot when the bruiser came out. 2 of them were really nice up and comers that I hope to see in a couple years. Long story short when the big old boy came out the other 4 immediately left with tails tucked and head low. I had the old boy at 15yds but couldn't see my pins by the time he came in front of my stand. Now I don't know for sure if it was just an age thing or the aggressive demeanor of the buck. I have the feeling he is a bully and pushes whoever around that he wants. Hopefully I get a chance to stick him before he pushes those bucks off the farm

Last edited:
Back in early November I was hunting over a food plot where a huge bodied buck frequently visited. This buck would only score in the 140's as a 10. The were 4 other bucks in the plot when the bruiser came out. 2 of them were really nice up and comers that I hope to see in a couple years. Long story short when the big old boy came out the other 4 immediately left with tails tucked and head low. I had the old boy at 15yds but couldn't see my pins by the time he for in front of my stand. Now I don't know for sure if it was just an age thing or the aggressive demeanor of the buck but I have the feeling he is a bully and pushes whoever around that he wants. Hopefully I get a chance to stick him before he pushes those bucks off the farm

Sounds like he is the bully for that area. He may push some off, or at least make them subdominant.

I think there is some truth to that Winke segment, but the second buck that was killed had been on that farm earlier in the year and hunting season. He had a large home range. I do think he may have stayed off that farm because of the "bully buck," but the time of year he came back was typical of the time of year bucks change locations...rut winding down, winter approaching and the need for good food increasing. I have bucks leave every year, only to show up again about the same time around Thanksgiving. I also have new bucks show up for the food. They all typically stay all winter.

I find this to be true. Last year I took a management buck from a piece of property I hunt late in the year. He had shown patterns of fighting a lot and the buck signs on the property decreasedand we were not seeing many bucks on the farm. I shot him late last year and found a lot of scars from his fights when mounting him. Now that he is gone we have seen more bucks then and signs of bucks in the area then the last several years. I believe it was because of this deer the patterns have changed.

Top Bottom