Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Button bucks gone

glasgowm

Man, I HATE this. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif I don't own any of my own land, so I share access to most of the ground I hunt. My best piece of ground is a piece I've helped manage for 7 years. The land owners hired man is currently the one who gives access. He was instructed to give me access, and I was hoping he'd limit it to us.

Anyway, bow season was great. I was the only one on the whole place. Rifle season, I took my dad and the hired man hunted with his son. He also gave permission to one other guy and his son too. Ok, still not too bad. 1500 acres and 6 hunters. I'm not complaining. Then they shot 2 "antlerless" deer that were button bucks. I'm not liking this as much, but figure "hey, it's only 2 of the property's future bruisers." Actually one of the button bucks was shot by his 12 year old son as his first deer. I had no problem with that at all.

Then comes KS late season antlerless season. The hired man took 10 guys in there to push every piece of cover. They start out by pushing the 200 plus inch buck I was hunting, out of the area I have come to designate as sanctuary. So now he's been pushed out of his sanctuary and 10 guys who didn't know this property at all, now know it and have seen this brute of a buck.

But wait, it gets worse. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif They shot one doe, one "huge doe" that was a 250 pound buck that had already shed, and 4 more button bucks. So, over the season they shot one shed buck and 6 button bucks all on anterless tags. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif WHY OH WHY!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Sorry, I just needed to vent. It will be interesting to see what next summer's camera surveys show.

Matthew

That stinks! I feel your pain! Gotta own the land BUT even then there's always headaches when you are dealing with other folks who don't look at deer management like you do. Keep working on the guy in a respectful BUT educational way. Good luck out there!

1 shed buck and 6 button bucks off 1500 acres doesn't seem that bad. There should be a few more deer left on that much land for you to see next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: breiner11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 shed buck and 6 button bucks off 1500 acres doesn't seem that bad. There should be a few more deer left on that much land for you to see next year. </div></div>

Yes, these aren't the only bucks on the property. I should also mention though, that in my part of KS 1500 acres of ground may have only 300 acres that holds deer and our population density is a lot less than IA. We have like 8 deer per square mile.

I'm more upset that I will never get to see the potential on any of those bucks.

Matthew

I feel your pain, I HATE the antlerless season. I hope they discontinue it soon; with the decreasing deer #'s statewide, perhaps it'll happen soon, I'm not holding my breath though, insurance companies would have a fit.

I've already written letters to KDWP each year asking for it to be discontinued.

I was talking with a state biologist recently and he said that they are batting around some significant changes in order to allow the population to expand some. They've gotten a TON of complaints this year about reduced deer numbers. Hopefully getting rid of the late antlerless season will be a part of their plan. They are also considering making some areas shotgun only during firearms season. I don't see that one flying in KS though.

Matthew

Top Bottom