Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buy land in which county?

spltbrow

I am looking to buy another farm for hunting/investment. What county would you buy in? I was looking at Davis, Van Buren, or Lee.

If it were me, I'd look within an hour of your house and pick the top few counties. Then you are into a whole next investigation of finding the right piece, right price and right neighborhood/management area.

Sligh1 said:
If it were me, I'd look within an hour of your house and pick the top few counties. Then you are into a whole next investigation of finding the right piece, right price and right neighborhood/management area.

I already own one farm 45 min from my house in Jackson county which is probably the best area around me as I am located in Scott. Land prices around me are ridiculous in price. I also have a few other farms within the hour that I hunt.

Kind off looking for a weekend getaway with a great deer population and more reasonable land prices, if there is such a thing as reasonable land prices.

spltbrow said:
I already own one farm 45 min from my house in Jackson county which is probably the best area around me as I am located in Scott. Land prices around me are ridiculous in price. I also have a few other farms within the hour that I hunt.

Kind off looking for a weekend getaway with a great deer population and more reasonable land prices, if there is such a thing as reasonable land prices.

I am in a similar situation. Live near the qc and land around here is not that great and outrageous on price. I bought in lee, but its still a long drive. If ur not worried about drive i would go for van buren or davis. If you go lee go fir west side of county. I have seen some awesome places for sale down there, i look alot ;) Henry or des moines county would be good but add 500 to 1000 an acre.

I have had a place in Davis for 14yrs now, I wish it was closer but I am used to the drive.
Hunting is great, but I did have the worst 2nd season turkey.

Scott said:
I am in a similar situation. Live near the qc and land around here is not that great and outrageous on price. I bought in lee, but its still a long drive. If ur not worried about drive i would go for van buren or davis. If you go lee go fir west side of county. I have seen some awesome places for sale down there, i look alot ;) Henry or des moines county would be good but add 500 to 1000 an acre.

What part of lee do you own land in. I am thinking about an 80 acre tract on the far west side of lee. I also live in the qc. How often do you make the trip?

I have land for sale in Southern Iowa..Have pictures of world class deer on it every year. PM me if interested

If your looking for land in Davis county might give Isreal Real Estate a call, they had quite a few parcels listed @ the Floris area. I walked a few of them, some good looking properties, just not the one for me.

i know scott county real well as one of my best friends owns a bunch of land there, not a ton of hunting in scott but some decent spots, been running cameras there and shed hunting for 8 years now, as far as what county to buy a farm in, honestly any county is good if its in the right spot, i dont really feel any county is better than any other, if u get next to areas that dont get hunted or heavily managed your good to go

I'm in Davis and VB quite a bit for work. VB definitely has Davis beat for numbers. I saw a lot of deer this last winter around Bonaparte. I think VB has the prettiest and cheapest land in the state. If I was buying, that's the first place I'd look. Not very familiar with Lee cty.

Top Bottom