Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buying land ?'s

revup

Get Wild Outdoors
So I've been looking into what it would take to purchase my own property.
Can any one throw me some advise?

For the time being, it will be a property that I will hunt/fish on, and possibly build a home on in the future.

How much land is enough?
I've been looking in the 80 acre range............Is that going to be enough to hold a good population of deer and possibly keep them in that area?

So far I've found that I need to find a bank that works with a lot of farm/recreational property loans.
Many banks only do 5-7 yr ARM loans, with little/no $ down.
Some banks need up to 25% down on a 30yr fixed.
I remember seeing a bank @ the deer classic.......does any one know the name of it?

What government programs are out there that pay you for your property.......like CRP?

Thanks,
J

There are tons and tons of programs that you can utilize for government assistance, such as CRP. There was a post on here awhile back that listed a bunch of the programs.

Remember to start out small, and what you can afford. Its good to buy property where you have the choice or chance to buy more later on, if applicable.

As far as size for deer hunting, I know quite a few guys that have 40 acres that they spend alot of time making it a deer heaven. You may not have alot of deer staying on the ground, but make it secure with plenty of food, and the mature bucks will figure it out when not rutting.

Also, try and steer away from land that has tillable acres on it. That will just drive the price of it up. There are alot of "not so appealing" farms that are affordable, but you have to build the habbitat up on them, and make it your own little honey hole.

Rev up. 80 acres MIGHT be enough for 1 guy if you were a hard-core big buck hunter. BASICALLY, buy as much as you can afford. 200-300 would be IDEAL. BUT, the solution is to hunt your 80 acre farm and additionally have some farms within 15 minutes you can hunt to take the pressure off of.

If you work on the land, it can be night and day on how many deer it holds/attracts. Cover, TSI, foodplots, etc. If I were buying an 80, I would shoot for more timber, say 60 acres.

You can buy my land in Burlington! :) I'll make you a heck of a deal!

Government programs are endless. Tons of them. You could do CRP, timber stand improvement, there's programs for foodplots, tillable income from farmers, etc, etc. Answer is: YES, tons for what you want. I wouldn't get too in depth in worrying about that until after you buy- you can rest assure, they are available. Timber income is also another option.

Some folks will sell on land contract- I would for example. Obviously you're looking for something by your house though- most folks will just want cash. Yes, 20-30% down is typical, 5-8% interest (rates are almost always higher than house). 20 year terms is most common, maybe some places have 30.

Good luck man, you won't regret this purchase if you get a great piece. Great stuff!

I bought 112 acres out of school a few years ago and another 55 in 2007 that is connected to it. I did it alone and it was scary at first, alot of responsibilty but it was my dream. More comes up but you hve to stay within your comfort zone, which could be 10 for one or 1000 for another. Make sure you don't "stress" yourself out by buying to much but even with my 170, deer are seen three farms over. Point is, they will move to adjacent farms, even if you own 1000 acres! THE KEY, is having a sanctuary. Everbody has food in Iowa. Look at access from other hunters and if say, it has potential to have a centrally located sanctuary that you NEVER GO IN it is worth a look.

I had 30 acres tillable, took 5 out and put in 5 acres of switch which adjoins a 30 acre central timber strip that I had TSI'd that I never hunt. Ever. Then I took 8 acres and put in alflafa, 5 in clover, the rest in corn or beans. If it has a house you can rent it and use as a tax break but taxes are higher on a housed property. Having a trusted friend to watch over it is another thing to consider as it will help alot.

I have yet to shoot a buck on my 170, but my little buddy shot a 140 :) First deer and 13 yo !! Point is, it is IOwa, 170 acres, and I still am waiting for a mature buck to meet the goal I am after. Many think if you own land, plots etc, that it guarantees a booner, but that is as far from the truth as it can be. I pass alot of younger deer but dream of harvesting a mature brute as the first deer on my farm remains. That dream makes all the work worth the effort. Start small, DON't Wait and if you REALLY REALLY want it, it can be done. It is alot of work, payments and frustration sometimes but go to small banks and ask for no $ down loans and be careful of ARM. They can get you in the long run. PM if you have any questions. Good luck!!!!!

I have been on this stump before,,but buy all you can. I thot 40 was enough. It was,,but I did not consider,"Neighbors".. I did though when I first looked at it. good neighbor to the east. He hunted on 200 acres way down the road. Found out later,,however,his wife had the 10 dogs she lets run loose. Other neighbor was young couple, with two small girls. Guy bow hunted his 40, for trophies,but away alot. Sounded ok. then they up and sold, after I purchased mine. I put in plots,planted fruit trees,improved bedding,opened trails, the whole bit. Property sold to RedNeck, car racer. Who decides to raise cattle too. Forces me to spend $1,000 on fencing my half of line. Then ,,his boy gets a quad, and he and friend tear up rest of land, with evening roaring. Thankfully seems only once a week. Hopefully school and girls will take up his time in the fall. He is 17, so maybe he will be off to college some day,,,but I have learned my lesson. Nomore buying land for me. You spend all kinds of time on a place,,but you can't control the neighbors! Next purchase,,,a nice camper,,and,,good truck to haul it. If neighbors at a campground bug ya,,you just move on!!

I'd like to reiterate the lone rangers comments. I am always looking for the smaller pieces 40-80. Prices are really good right now by the way. Make sure you go with a broker that knows the area and the neighbors. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have good neighbors especially when you are looking at a smaller piece. If poor hunting habits already exist in the area, walk away, regardless of price. It's a very rewarding venture, take your time and wait for the piece that works for you. There is always another one coming up for sale next week!

Top Bottom