Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buying standing crops from farmer/landowner

miff007

What would be a fair price to pay a landowner/ farmer to leave crops standing. Both Corn and Beans. Average year I expect would be higher this year alot of the beans look pretty small..These farms would be middle quality soil in SE Iowa.

Does anyone know input cost per acre?

One word- Expensive!!
Your 10 times better off trying to "lease" small plot type areas to plant on your own.
Just look up current grain prices and do the math, it adds up quick

Check out this link: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/html/a1-65.html

Based on $5 corn I'd say $540 per ac.

Could use the same math for Soybeans at $12 per bu and 6 tons per ac:
that would put you at $432 per ac on Soybeans

It's costly......

I should add this wouldn't take in to account some other factor such as they could be paying a very high cash rent per ac and then they would need more just to break even!

Last edited:
Those number are waaaayyyy off.

@5 bushel averaging 200 bushel your at 1,000 per acre.....

@12 beans at 60 bushel your at 720 per acre.....

Hate to say it...BUT my dad and I paid $900 to leave an acre of corn up last year. Needless to say, we rented 3 acres and created our own food plots this year :)

You can figure 200 bucks for beans and 400 bucks for corn on input and harvest costs combined. I think my area is actually around 180 and 390 respectively.

With rental prices in southern Iowa in the $200/acre range and inputs on top of that I would say and acre of corn could cost you $550-700 if your paying for input cost only.
His insurance revenue guarantee per acre on corn with a 135 bushel average yield at 80% coverage would be $610 per acre. (135*.8=108 bu/acre*$5.65 spring price = $610.2

Soybeans with a 40 bushel average and 80% revenue protection would be as follows: 40*.8= 32bu * 12.87 (spring price for soybeans)= $411.84

The variables of aph yield and coverage level can be adjusted to fit your area/farmer. I would say this would be the best way to buy standing crops since they will forfeit their insurance on those acres by leaving them in past the harvest date.

Those number are waaaayyyy off.

@5 bushel averaging 200 bushel your at 1,000 per acre.....

@12 beans at 60 bushel your at 720 per acre.....

But it is not harvested, it's standing, the link I posted is how corn is bought as standing crop. You don't have 200 bu until it's harvested and if your going to let it stand that is how it is figured. Agreed it is low and it doesn't take all factors into account. In other word each situation will be a little different as I stated before.

With rental prices in southern Iowa in the $200/acre range and inputs on top of that I would say and acre of corn could cost you $550-700 if your paying for input cost only.
His insurance revenue guarantee per acre on corn with a 135 bushel average yield at 80% coverage would be $610 per acre. (135*.8=108 bu/acre*$5.65 spring price = $610.2

Soybeans with a 40 bushel average and 80% revenue protection would be as follows: 40*.8= 32bu * 12.87 (spring price for soybeans)= $411.84

The variables of aph yield and coverage level can be adjusted to fit your area/farmer. I would say this would be the best way to buy standing crops since they will forfeit their insurance on those acres by leaving them in past the harvest date.

I would agree that would be one way to do it as well, if you can get your farmer to play ball. I agree planting your own would be better way but you still have to get the farm to give up those acres. Bottom line is you will need to work closely with the farmer.

Top Bottom