Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cabelas line of ground blinds

Stump Shooter

Does anyone have any experience with these? Even being that double bull is probably the best and so many of you have said it, I just can't pull the trigger on a $400 blind purchase.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend either one of the lightening blinds and I work for them!
bigshock.gif

I'll try to remember tomorrow and check out the fulldraw's and get back to you.

I ordered the Cabelas Full Draw 2 hub blind a couple weeks ago. This is the one that looks like a Double Bull T2. The FD blind was, well not good. Its very small so you could forget using a bow out of it, the windows seemed poorly designed, and the zipper fell off the second time I closed it.
Cabelas had UPS pick it up at my home and dropped off the Lightning Set 4 seasons blind, no extra shipping. Great service.
I dont have any experience with that blind yet, other than I just set it up in the back yard by the dim yard light. My first impression though is that it is much better than the Full Draw blind, better windows and much larger. I'll have a better review after 3rd season turkey is over. So far my only dislike it that the windows secure only by velcro, which is a little cheasy. We will see how that works out.

I used a standard Cabelas Lighting set blind last year (borrowed) and to me it seemed ok. Fairly easy to set up and take down, etc.
I have hunted out of my buddies DB T5 before and true the DB is a nicer blind. Heavier fabric for sure. Still, for no more than I plan to use it the Cabelas was less than half the price and will hopefully do alright.

Shovel, what is the problem with the Cabelas Lightning Set blinds, anything I should watch out for?

The arms can break, and I don't like the twisting motion it can get in the wind.
There is plenty of room to bow hunt from both of them though.

Shovelbuck,

You might be the best one to comment on my additional question then. From what I can see online, there are the Full Draw 5...Full Draw 5x...Lightning Set Hunting and Lightning Set 4-Season. Since Timber kind of said that the Full Draw blinds suck..How are both Lightning blinds if you can comment on them? I want to be able to bow hunt out of it and enough room for two people. I appreciate your help.

Pat

Pat
Try calling DB and ask about 2nd hand blinds they cant sell. You can sometimes get a real steal that way I have been told.
grin.gif

After using the Cabelas Lightning Set 4 seasons blind I would not recommend buying one. They are easy to set up and there is ample room inside. However they have widows and mesh that attach only by small squares of velcro, 1"x2" or so, and they dont line up well so attachement is iffy. Also, as Shovel stated they do move or flap quite a bit in the wind. I believe this is because the fabric is too light weight and they only have 4 internal rods, one in each corner. The guy ropes also attach to these rods so there is absolutely nothing supporting the fabric over a 6' span which allows for quite a bit of flap.
Mine is going back. For $20 less they sell a blind called the GroundMax Escape Deluxe which I checked out at Scheels. Much thicker and better supported fabric, zip windows, etc,. Seemed much better for the money. I shouldnt have waited until the last minute when I looked for a blind. I rarely do that and it figures it would bite me in the behind.

I have the same blind as timberpig and i can say it does have it flaws, i was out this weekend when it was raining and blowing pretty good and 1 of the windows just decided to open by itself, if you pull the sides tight enough when putting your stakes in it takes away alot of the flap, I had 14 deer and 12 turkeys within 25 yrds of the blind and they were not bothered by the movement of the blind which i was very surprised about, one major disadvantage is that either the windows are open or closed or you can do a half open diagonal but you loose visibility and there is not a way to half open the window down. Besides that I have had wonderful luck with it. Kept me dry and have shot 2 birds out of it already. Fits 2 grown men very comfortably and also had a third and it wasnt to bad, just limited visibility when the 3rd was in there. Quick and easy to set up also which makes it very nice if you are mobile when hunting turkeys like most of us. I am cheap when it comes to something that i dont use all year around. Good luck on picking a blind.
confused.gif

I appreciate the additional replys guys. I've pretty much decided I'm not going to get one until I can pull the trigger on a DB. Who knows when that will be. ha, ha

Pat

Top Bottom