Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cabela's signage - LaVista, NE

NebraskaWhitetail

Sign at the new Cabela's store in LaVista, Nebraska.

Look closely...

3300Cabela.jpg

...a replacement sign has been installed.
grin.gif

it happens, Although the pic does look like it was altered to me. I know of a guy they did some artwork and spelled "bowhunter" BOWHNUTER...honest ti god.

When I was in the sign biz I was allways amazed when it happened. The signs go through so many different departments and nobody catches it.
grin.gif

Been there, done it myself.
grin.gif

Ryan:

Athough it pic may look altered, Ryan, I can assure you that it's legit. The story of the typo was all over the newspapers here.

Here's the newspaper article content:

One big typo
BY MATT OLBERDING / Lincoln Journal Star
Sunday, Dec 17, 2006 - 12:14:23 am CST
What do you do if you’ve got a big grand opening planned and one of your big signs shows up with a spelling error in it? If you’re Cabela’s, you put it up and hope no one notices.

Apparently, no one did. When the outdoor retailer opened its La Vista store Nov. 3, customers streaming in through the front entrance saw a sign calling Cabela’s the world’s foremost outfitter of “Hunting, Fishnig and Outdoor Gear Since 1961.”

Cabela’s spokesman James Powell said the company was aware of the misspelling and had ordered a replacement, but it needed a sign for the grand opening of its nearly 129,000-square-foot store along Interstate 80.

“We knew it had a typo from the start when it arrived from the signmaker, but we needed it up temporarily for the opening,” Powell said.

He said the sign was replaced as soon as the new one arrived, and so far as he knew no one pointed it out to the company.

The sign ran with a Dec. 7 story in the Journal Star about a Cabela’s expansion in Sidney, and an alert reader pointed out the mistake.

Reach Matt Olberding at 473-2647 or [email protected]

I spent roughly 14 years of my professional life working for a large printing company. We specialized in printing barcoded labels and shipped all over the domestic U.S.....

One of our product lines was barcoded library labels for controlling inventory. Libraries from all over the U.S. ordered our labels and generally used 1 label for every book that they had on inventory.

One time we had an order from the San Franciso Public Library. The label was a very simple label with a barcode and "San Franciso Public Library". The order went through many different departments and the labels got printed and shipped to the San Francisco Public Libary....

When they received the labels they realized that instead of saying "San Franciso Public Library" they said "San Francisco Pubic Libary"

A classic in my book....:)

Mark....

A similar story:

In these days of corporate takeovers, buy outs and mergers, a company was acquired and part of the assimilation was changing the signs on the building. Many of the employees retained after the take over were less than pleased with the new corporate philosophy. This company produces instruments that can image very small features, so the catch phrase these days is "Nano" this and "Nano" that. Their area of expertise is "nanoscale" measurements. They had a sticker made that they placed on the front window. Spell check did not recognize nanoscale and auto corrected it, which no one caught until after the sign was placed in the front window. It started with their company name, which I will omit, followed by the phrase "solutions for a Nonsocial world". I guess all the "acquired" employees (and those who had left and heard about it) got a chuckle.

[ QUOTE ]
I know of a guy they did some artwork and spelled "bowhunter" BOWHNUTER...

[/ QUOTE ]

i know that guy!

[ QUOTE ]
I spent roughly 14 years of my professional life working for a large printing company. We specialized in printing barcoded labels and shipped all over the domestic U.S.....

One of our product lines was barcoded library labels for controlling inventory. Libraries from all over the U.S. ordered our labels and generally used 1 label for every book that they had on inventory.

One time we had an order from the San Franciso Public Library. The label was a very simple label with a barcode and "San Franciso Public Library". The order went through many different departments and the labels got printed and shipped to the San Francisco Public Libary....

When they received the labels they realized that instead of saying "San Franciso Public Library" they said "San Francisco Pubic Libary"

A classic in my book....:)

Mark....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definitely a winner, Mark!

Do you know what makes it even worse.............. I didn't even catch it until I read a little bit further into the post.
frown.gif

i was out there twice before thanksgiving. can't say i took more than a glance at the sign. i was focused on the front door. like a kid walking into santa's workshop...all i wanted to see was the toys

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong B.J. not getting enough sleep at work!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats correct, some of us have to actually work to get a paycheck unlike some people I know.
grin.gif

Do you realize you used this word three times... San Franicso and this word two times... San Francisco?

There was a sign west of Forest City for several years that said "Crysal Lake".

It can happen to anyone. As a magazine editor I am trained to pick this stuff out, and you cannot believe the stuff I have seen in some places

Top Bottom