Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cabin/home built with trees from your own land

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I have read a few articles from individuals who have milled lumber from the trees on the property they own. They have built a cabin or home, with trees from their wood lot or timber. This interests me, and I am looking into building a small hunting shack on my 200 acre parcel using all of my own trees, (aspen, oak, pine, spruce, ash, maple etc...) I have a friend that owns a sawmill and kiln, so this is on the "to-do" list.

Has anyone done this, or had some experience with milling their own lumber for their own home or cabin? I would appreciate any advise, and please be specific on what type of wood you used and why, any other tips?
Thanks...

I have a cousin who lives in Idaho that bought his own potable saw, cut trees and milled his own lumber and then built a beautiful house!

Big job though and I'm not sure if all of that is really cost effective or not...can be done though...;)

dbltree: You would think it would save money, but again, I am new to this. Do you know what type of wood he used?

My guess is you probably aren't going to save much money and you will have a ton of labor in it.
Lumber really isn't all that expensive . That being said, it would be cool to be able to tell people you built it from trees from your own property.

Last edited:
There are a lot of variables....are you planning on doing a log style cabin or are you planning on conventional framing. Either way do not use any hardwood for the construction of it, if you want to mill some maple for your floors or something that would be fine, but try to stick with the spruce and pine for framing or for the logs on the exterior. If you have a better idea of what you want to build put up a rough idea of it and I will give as much advice as I can....oh yeah, I build custom homes for a living and have done a couple of log homes and timber frames as well. I would be happy to help with what ever advice I could

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. The plan is a small cabin, built with pine or aspen logs or real log siding...Hardwood flooring, interior siding, maybe even some built-in furniture. A loft for sleeping. I already have power at the site.

Right now the plan is not complete, that is why I am looking for any additional tips? Thanks.

Top Bottom