Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Cactus" bucks ruled-out

Blackfoot

"Cactus" bucks ruled-out...

What are your feelings toward B&C and P&Y policies of not accepting "cactus" type racks? Some truly monstrous whitetails have been ruled-out over the years.

Troy Wilson's Kentucky non-typical - 293 1/8
Kevin Thomas' Missouri non- typical - 282 2/8
Sammy Walker's Louisianna monster- unscorable
and the famed "Barnacle Buck" - 257 4/8 w/ 72 scorable points!!!

Although these deer may not have been naturually designed to be world class whitetails, I for one find it very unfortunate that as extremely impressive as these bucks are, they have received no official recognition that I believe they deserve. Even though I do feel this ruling is slightly unfair, I can see why they would exclude these types of bucks. If they were to decide to accept "cactus" bucks, I could only imagine some of the awful things that could/would occur. As disgusting as it may sound, I'd imagine as time past, there'd be a bright fellow who had an "ingeneous" idea to physically alter pen-raised deer, hoping to gain fame and fortune amongst the whitetail community. You'd be capable of creating your very own "cactus" buck and in the process some truly enormous bucks could be made. And just look at what have presently... the buying and selling of world class whitetail sperm and people putting together fabricated antlers trying to pass them off as naturual ones. Have we all gone mad!?!? Sometimes the whitetail world can seem extremely chaotic!
893shocked-thumb[1].gif
bigshock.gif

-Renegade Archer

Renegade,

you bring up a good point that has been argued a lot. I think the main reason these clubs do not accept these cactus bucks is because of what you said in the other thread.

Cactus bucks often times do not loose their velvet and their antlers do not harden, then in the spring they do not shed, and next year the antler growth starts right around the old growth. This is why cactus bucks usually tend to have a rediculous amount of circumfrance at the base.

Of course, this is not the case for all cactus bucks... however, it would not be fair to recognize a deer that has 6 years of antler growth compaired to all other deer that only get the growth from the current year.

I don't care if it is scoreable or not, I sure would love to shoot one!!

Adamo

Top Bottom