Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Calibrating a Backpack Sprayer

dbltree

Super Moderator
Many of us use back sprayers for applying herbicide around tree plantings and small clover and other food plots.

I use mine for everything from applying liquid fertilzer to putting out fires in a controlled burn:

Toolsoftrade.jpg

There a lot of factors to consider when applying herbicide with a BPS, it's more difficult to control speed and coverage then with a tractor or ATV mounted sprayer.

It can be done and the BPS is an indespensable tool for most landowners with both large and small projects.

I have used my Solo sprayer for so many years that I know pretty well how much I'm putting on but for those that are unsure here are some links to help you calibrate your BPS and general info on using one.

Calibrating a Backpack Sprayer - FAQ

Calibrating a Backpack Sprayer for Chemical Mowing

Calibrating and Using Backpack Sprayers

Calibrating Hand-Held and Backpack Sprayers for Applying Pesticides

I will be applying Oust in my tree plantings as well as Poast to some small clover plots with mine, so calibration will be extremely important.

If anyone has any additional helpful info or questions please post your thoughts.

Have you used Oust in a backpack before. The small rate per acre scares me. One second too long on a tree and its fried.

[ QUOTE ]
The small rate per acre scares me. One second too long on a tree and its fried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if it's applied over the top of trees that have broke dormancy...in which case it can kill them no matter how it's applied.

A BPS allows me to apply it around the base of a seedling...I usually use a 5 gallon bucket with a 2x2 handle screwed to it so I can cover each tree.

Where I have new seedlings to plant I will spray first and then plant.

There are other "safer" to apply herbicides but I have had good luck with Oust and have never had any tree mortality caused by it's use.

I just mentioned it to underscore the need to calibrate one's sprayer (backpack or otherwise)

There's a first time for everything of course so if I "fry" any trees...you'll hear it here first!
blush.gif
grin.gif

I calibrate my glyphosate by how dead I want to see stuff
shocked.gif
I only have small plots, use the chain saw and BP sprayer a lot when I have time. I have trouble not covering the same spot twice but rarely do I miss a spot!! Thanks for the good info Dbltree.

Top Bottom