Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

California deer

bret

Its not looking like I'll make it home to bowhunt this year due to my service obligations. I did however find out that since Im military stationed in cali I get resident hunting and tag fees. So I jumped on the opportunity and will be chasing mulies and blacktail out here. Just curious to see if anyone has been out this way and chased these critters with any luck? Its kind of a hopeshot out here in southern cali. The only thing out here that you have any luck huntin are the cougars that wear high heels and drive mercedes ;) lol

Hi Bret, I hear it is very confusing out there with all the zones and different regulations. But I also hear there are some great deer too. I'm headed to Medford Oregon next fall which is just north of the California border. The blacktails hunting is supposed to be really good there.

You will see some great scenery if nothing else. Post some pics. Good luck and watch out for hippies, they are all over out there.

Thanks for serving!

I was born and raised out in CA and started deer hunting when I was 12. The best chance to kill something will be in the X zones. They are draw only and take a few points even as a resident. D 13 is pretty good over the counter and the los padres national forest will give you a good chance as well. Best advise I can give you is buy a good pair of boots and plan on hiking miles if you want the chance to kill in CA. You HAVE to put in the time and mile on foot if you want a good deer. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your support! Its greatly appreciated!

breiner, the scenery was amazing I took alot of pics! I will be sure to get them uploaded in the next couple days! The zones are quite confusing it took me awhile to figure it out.. why cant it just be like back home and be simple? Yes, this place does have its fair share of hippies lol.

rick, Im glad you mentioned d-13 and Los Padres, cause that is where I will be hunting! Went scouting today hiked way back in off the beaten path.. Found lots of bedding and scraping activity the farther back i got. The total on the day was 19 does and 4 bucks. 2 forks and 2 shooters... One of which i would say was big for the area guessed him at close to 140ish probably. I just hope Im doing the right thing by trying to find rutting activity and beds instead of food sources cause I have no idea what these critters eat. I did find a couple areas with water that were getting pounded. Tough country and terrain is going to make for an awfully tough hunt...but its got my blood pumping! ;)

Never hunted in Cali and not to sure how cold it usually is out there but I would not do any hunting in Humboldt Co. Never know what kinda grow operation you couldrun into lol

picture.php

here is one of the views I enjoyed for a couple hours while glassing ;)

Last edited:
Stick to those burn scars or their edges as much as you possibly can. Deer (and elk in their range) love them for the great forage that comes up post-burn. Good luck. And keep your eyes open for feral pigs!

Top Bottom