Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

calling coyotes?

6x6

PMA Member
The coyote population is out of control on my farm this year. I am dusting off the foxpro and rifle today and gonna try to kill some. What calls are the most effective now, and are mornings or afternoons better for getting them to come in? We have no snow, so nights probably are not an option. Been getting pics of alot of big mangey single males and a very large pair with real good hair. These 2 are so big I would swear they are part wolf. When they cut loose in the evenings the ones voice is so deep he sounds like a bloodhound.Thanks, any advise is appreciated.

I would stick with distress, but we are creeping up on the prime breeding season when howls are deadly. I always start with cottontail and move on to kiyis or pup in distress to end the set. It seems like the 12 minute mark seems to be golden in the set.

*Im all talk because I havent been out yet this year, I really like a lot of snow and a full moon. I am heading to WY and Western NE the first weekend of Feb to call coyotes. YIPPEEE!!

I've killed quite a few over the years calling them. I always have 10 times the success with lots of snow and sub zero temps for good week or two. I have killed the most by flipping the call on right when the sun sinks over the horizon. I would usually go in and get set up about a half hour before the sun sets and as soon as it was below the horizon I would turn on a woodpecker call. I have had much better luck with the woodpecker call than a rabbit.

I usually put my call 50-75 yards away from me. A lot of times I will just stand next to a big tree. They will be so focused on the sound they won't pay attention to you.

In the mornings it seemed I never really had good luck until the sun cam up. I have never called one in at first light. It always seemed to be around 8 oclock. Not sure why. If you can hunt around a frozen creek or river they will be running them hard. I have called a few in the middle of the day as well by setting up by some nasty thick cover and calling them out.

The best areas I have found has always been around large switchgrass fields. Seems they bed in them like crazy. Goodluck.

Ive been out several times now and have yet to connect.Had one show itself for a minute while playing a prarie dog distress call but no shot.This was right before sunset.

Vole squeaks brought one in very close the other night, but he got behind me and was in a thicket where he winded me.Also had a rather large owl show up outta nowhere and scare the crap out of me when he went for the caller.This was probably 2 hors after dark trying to hunt in the full moon with no snow

Shot the first yote of the year this Saturday evening. Got home from an all day wrestling tourney around 4:00pm. By 4:30 I was in my white-outs and headed out the back door with the rifle. I started off with a wounded wood-pecker and then a coon squaller. He came trotting in to 150 yds and hung up until I did a couple rodent squeaks and then "POW"!!!!! :D Actually did this guy a favor as he was in rough shape from mange. No real winner for me in mornings vs. evenings. If the wind is right it can happen any time. I agree that a couple weeks of deep cold and snow improve the odds as they always seem to give up a little caution to hunger. :way:

We haven't had much luck either unless we spot them first (while we're deer hunting normally). It seems they haven't been wanting to travel too far to the calling. We've been using vole squeeks, rabbit distress, and coyote pup distress. We have had two come in to the coyote pup distress so far.

Top Bottom