Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

calls

elscott11

PMA Member
What calls does everyone use? I am sure you have many but what are your favorite calls? Mouth calls, box, slate, etc.? And what brand do you use?

i use some primos mouth calls which i really like to use to make cutts and then soft purrs when they get closer, for a slate i have primos jackpot, tom teaser slate, and a woodhaven slate. I'm not a huge fan of the glass calls when it rains i just use my mouth calls or keep switching slate calls.

My favorites.

Woodhaven mouth calls (particulary the cooperhead series) , HS Black Widow Slate, Quaker boy waterproof Hurricane Box call, and a homemade wingbone call.

I carry an arsenal of calls in my vest. I love Hooks custom mouth calls, but I also have a good buddy in Michigan that makes his own and they are phenomenal. Woodhaven makes a good friction call and even some of the Primos stuff is good. And I would highly recommend a good box call for those windy days (your preference). I would say 90% of my calling consists of using mouth calls though. Good Luck :way:

I use two Woodheavens a slate and the crystal. Primos box cutter box call(dont really ever use but carry it).

Just ordered a call from Lights out custom calls by Wendel Rye. I have herd some go stuff about his calls. Gave him a call and he worked some he had there in the shop and they sounded great, that was over the phone though.

Cant run a mouth call (they have latex and Im old school). Have done some calling with just my voice.

Last edited:
Like Dedgeez, I carry an aresenal as well. I love the HS mouth calls ("Cutt'n 2.5" my favorite) and use those 90% of the time and called my last Merriam's in from close to a mile away with that call. I've had good reactions from my Quaker Boy 3-way (1/3 slate, 1/3 glass, 1/3 aluminum). I love the aluminum for the windy days and the slate or glass for soft purrs in close (can't purr with my mouth calls). I also keep an old push-button yelper for close in purring. I can do that one-handed while my shotgun is propped on my knee ready to go. I need to get a box call, but just haven't done it yet.

I just use my voice primarily, drives my wife nuts.

Other than that I have couple calls that are helpful in certain situations like high wind. WoodsWise waterproof box call and some call with an aluminum face and carbon striker. It hurts my ears to use but man it cuts through the wind.

I also have a call from Wendell Rye (Lightsoutgamecalls). Great sounding slate from purrs to cutts. Well worth the money. Power Crow by Primos. The last couple years I have been using Woodhaven mouthcalls. Hopefully 4 or 5 members on this site will also be headed out with their wingbone yelpers!

Sweet Slate

picture.php

This is hands down my favorite call, easy to use, sounds get, nothing sounds like slate IMO.

Made by Corey Gersdorf, AKA: gersdorf here on iowawhitetail.

Thanks again Corey. :way:

picture.php

HS black widow slate is my favorite. I keep spending 3-4 times as much on different calls and every year I keep going back to the black widow. I need to pick another one up.

Blodgett calls , that are no more!! Double Trouble!! The best of the best!! Lightes Out slate ! And if ya don't wanna spend alot!! Ol'e Yeller!! !!:way::way:

I have a bunch of different calls, but, I pretty much only use my HS mouth calls.. anything that keeps me from moving my hands the least amt possible

I've been chasing these three toed critters since the early 80's and this is the only call that I've ever used. Call me a tite wad, but they are free, easy to make, and will make any sound you want them to. Changing from lower to upper lip while using also sounds like two different birds.
Just an old film canister, a piece of rubber glove, and a rubber band, along with about 5 minutes time and you have a working call that most birds have not heard before.

DSCN1262.jpg

I may mess around with a wing bone call this spring simply because for my style of hunting, it would be more appropriate. But these film canister calls work very good.

I use the Illusion Jeff Fredrick championship mouth call and then use a couple of mouth calls by Zink Calls. I've tried about every mouth call out there and for me these work the best and sound the most natural. The Illusion is kind of pricey but well worth the money.

For a slate call I use a Primos Ol' Glory, and have been using it for probaby the last 7 or 8 years. It's the only slate I use and the birds love it. Works great on windy afternoons.

Top Bottom