Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

calm down

Anyone have advice on how to chill out when you're setting up a shot? 2 years ago I'd draw on a deer and i was calm as can be til after the shot. Now I'm a total wreck as soon as i have one coming in and it can only end badly. I've already had a miss on a doe. Complete miss thank god. Used the wrong pin and went under. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and worked through it.

i had a problem when I first started getting into the peep. i would shoot and didn't even remember to get into my peep site. Now its the first thing i think of and remember to follow through. Don't peek, meaning dropping your bow arm to watch yuor shot. Watch your shot through your sites. Like stated above draw on those forkys and non-shooters. Have fun with it.

Practice holding on deer you aren't going to shoot. You may become more comfortable at full draw.

Agree with above and try to develop a routine for yourself. Years ago when I had a similar issue, I would consciously flex my knees ever so slightly. This helped maintain circulation and gave myself something to focus on too so as to distract a little bit from the upcoming shot.

You need to start "willing" that arrow where you want it to go. Make it go and make it a routine on every shot. If you are concentrating on you arrow placement it will keep you distracted enough to not fall apart. When I first moved to Sask. I was a total wreck on many bucks just because I had never even seen a 125 incher in my life. Those 140's looked like new world records to me at first. As time went on and I got used to seeing bigger bucks my nerves got better then a friend told me about "willing" my arrow and it worked. Good luck and I hope this helps you out try it it worked for me.

Slow your breathing down. Breath through your nose.
The adrenalen increases everything, but you can control it with your breathing.
Try going on a run, and controling your heart/breathing rate by taking deeper and slower breaths.

I've shot thousands of wall-hanger bucks...in my mind! :D
When it gets close to the season, every single practice shot I take, I visualize that a big buck is coming in and I set up, draw and release every shot just like I was shooting at a big buck. Also helps (for me) when I'm shooting at a buck target rather than into a bag or a block.
When the time comes for the real thing, naturally the blood still gets flowing, but I just think to myself, "I've done this very thing a thousand times before....do it just like at home".
My $.02, but helps me.

Thanks for all the advice. Very appreciated. Hopefully i can get another in front of me and learn to cool my jets again.

I talk myself thru my shots. Not out loud but in my mind. This year when I first pulled up on my buck it was "relax, I can make a kill, pin on target, hey dummy your not looking thru peep, relax, release.

I like the shots best where I just have to react and muscle memory takes over. The times I screwed up I had a long time to think about it and my nerves got the best of me.

I like the shots best where I just have to react and muscle memory takes over. The times I screwed up I had a long time to think about it and my nerves got the best of me.

Precisely one of my problem i think. I've always hunted off the ground til this year so what i saw was usually already in front of me. Now I'm in a stand and can see them from a ways off.too much thinking time haha

Practice holding on deer you aren't going to shoot. You may become more comfortable at full draw.

Just be sure to keep your finger/thumb off the trigger! Probably most importantly, think about the shot and placement. Forget the antlers or thinking that you "have" to get this deer. If you're too nervous before the shot, let it go. There will be others.

I believe the "Buck Fever" is caused by not breathing in fear of making noise. stop breathing properly and you get shaky.
I convinced myself the deer cannot hear you breathe and concentrate on taking long deep breaths as deer approach, of course you want to hold a breath at release, not sure if this would work for all but it works for me.

Top Bottom