Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cam cleats for climbing sticks

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

Cooter

As most I really like the rope system that the muddy climbing sticks use. The muddy sticks are shorter than most and I think the weigh more than most.

So I was looking to covert my lone wolf sticks to the same style of system. I have found some cam cleats but they are fairly pricy at $32 each. That would be without the rope also.

I have found cleats cheaper but they don't give the working and break strengths.

If you have any better sources or input it would be much appreciated.

Cam Cleats

-}}}---------->

Out of curiosity, why do you not like the LW straps? I have never had an issue with them and always hear people say they don't like them but I don't see how. Just trying to learn.

Replace the strap on you LW's with a rope and prusick loop. I converted some gorilla's and it worked really good. I have a thread on here about it...

Noise when the metal buckle hits against the stick or stand.
To each his own, but I figure that hiking in, strapping steps on, hanging the stand and getting settled in will take a few minutes. I'm not delusional enough to think that nearby deer aren't going to notice no matter how quiet.

JNRBRONC said:
To each his own, but I figure that hiking in, strapping steps on, hanging the stand and getting settled in will take a few minutes. I'm not delusional enough to think that nearby deer aren't going to notice no matter how quiet.

Yeah but I think the clang of metal on metal will carry much further and is much more unnatural than any other sound.

-}}}---------->

How does the metal clang against anything? I have never had that issue I guess. I keep all my straps in my pack. I see guys try to put the straps around the stick in which you will run into noise issues but if you separate the straps from the sticks you will have no noise. If you are really worried about it, you can buy a 2 inch bike inner tube and slide over the buckle on the strap (cut to cover buckle) and you can still use it the same way as you do now. No more noise.

I know back in my day of screw in steps I used to clang those together all the time. Actually rattled in a few small bucks hanging stands that way lol.

I have had it happen even when trying to strap the stick to the tree. Do you hook the buckle loop to the stick or stand or the other end and then toss the buckle around the tree?

I hooked the buckle end to the stick then toss the other end around. In which case the buckle would accidentally hit on the stick once in awhile.

Don't tell me this hasn't been an issue. If you want I can go back and find the threads where well know and respected IWers were filling their LW sticks with great stuff foam trying to deaden the noise. Using long tubes to make sure they could get to the bottom of the stick so they could make sure they got it completely filled.

Rattled in small bucks that's great if that's what you are hunting for:)

-}}}---------->

That's all fine and dandy, but if you are setting up that close to the deer you are hunting, maybe you should rethink it is all I'm saying.......

Maybe hunt from the ground in such situations.

Do you truly know where the deer are, especially during the rut. They bed down any and everywhere.

Why did this turn into a discussion of how and the way I hunt.

-}}}---------->

In 100% honesty, I make much more noise walking to my tree versus setting up the stand. I am kind of like a big clumsy ogre with a bright light on. I put the buckle end on the stick then I firmly hold the buckle against the stick with my right hand. I climb up and then press the stick against the tree with my gut, it helps being overweight ;) that is my claim anyways. I then grab the buckle and strap and hold it tight on the back side of the tree so it can't hit the stick. I then reach around or throw other half of strap to my other hand. Hook it up, and pull tight. I then pull down on the top part of stick to sink into tree.

The noisest part for me with a LW stick and stand set up has always been the stand. The old ones I never had an issue with but the new ones seem to clank really loud with each step up the tree. The seat post moves forward a bit and then falls back and clanks against the platform. This is very annoying. To solve it, I installed an ipod arm band that connects directly to my seat post. I then wrap it around platform and cinch tight on seat post. This way there is no way for the two parts to move and clank.

I am unsure if anyone else has had that problem. I was just curious is all. I have watched a lot of people hang stands and can't believe how much noise they make.

I also wanted to note those LW strap extensions are worth their weight in gold when you need them.

Saw someone on AT had took a muddy safeline and chopped it in to 4 pieces. If you search it you might find it. I will see if I can find it and link it tonight. Did it to my lw sticks last night.

lenehan said:
Saw someone on AT had took a muddy safeline and chopped it in to 4 pieces. If you search it you might find it. I will see if I can find it and link it tonight. Did it to my lw sticks last night.

Never heard or seen that or quite picture what you are talking about.

Can you post pictures?

Mobile Cooter using IW

Threw the cleat idea out. Thanks for the info Mike.

Went to big with rope its rated for over 19000lb(even Thomas could use it:)).

Good news is I can use my current UCRs for this setup.

2012-08-23133815.jpg

Mobile Cooter using IW

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom