Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cam location selection

Ried#3

Do you guys put your cams close to your stands or far away so you don't spook the herd? I want to put my cam near my stand which is near food in a travel corridor but don't want to educate the deer.

Are you worried about the camera spooking deer? Or your presence checking the camera? Many cameras don't have a visible flash & I'm not convinced the the ones that do spook deer much, if at all. I have cameras right in front of most of my stands just to make me feel bad when I see a shooter was there when I was not. :eek: If near food, check the camera mid-day when the deer are in bedding area.

It depends. I usually put my trail cams in bottle necks/trail junctions, so if a stand is near the bottleneck then yes.

If you only check or swap cards when you go to or from your stand to hunt - there is no more "pressure" than would otherwise take place while hunting. You still get the benefit of knowing what is around the stand on the days/hours your not hunting. This is what I do in my bedding areas during Nov. Just have to remember to put a card in your pack.

The one thing I will say if you do have cams by your stands is check them after you are done hunting not before. No need to get your scent on them prior to the hunt.

Most of mine are near stands so I can check them when I hunt. Also put them on field edges where they enter the field and other places I can access easily with truck or ATV.

Most of my cams during season are near or on the way tree stands. This year I did put one deeper in the woods first of October and didn't check it till late November. Didn't help with scouting this year but may have a new spot next season. :)

www.trailcamtrophies.com

Top Bottom