Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cam on post ?

SaskGuy

This yr high plow winds totally flattened miles of timber, I found a spot tonight where numerous car hood size scrapes were about 30 feet out into the field where large poplar trees blew down and weren't cleaned up. They are scraping all around the top of the tree. There is no place to fasten a cam so i was thinking of taking a post hole auger and making a post for a cam,...but out in the field like that, will it become a rubbing post?

They might rub the post, might not. We have started using 1 foot square pieces of plywood with a camera mounted on them, and either screw them to plastic posts we have, or U bolt them to normal metal fence posts after we get them drove into the ground.

we just pound in a fencepost and then put about a 1 ft piece of wood with 4 drilled holes in it. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. Then either run a zip tie through the holes and around the post or run wire through the holes and around the post to attach it. works well.

we have some scrap 2" blk iron pipe laying around and i take and cut it into 4' lengths then pound it into the ground, works great and i dont have to put anything special on the pipe for the camera to mount to.

They sure might try to rub a wooden post. I have had a couple reconyx cameras banged up on posts. Driveing in a metal post would be safer for your camera. I see alot of guys useing tripods, but I always wonder if they get knocked over very often. I am always getting raccoons and deer messing with my cameras.

Ive used a metal post several times and never had it bothered. On my TrailMac cameras there is a bracket mounted on the back of the box that has two 1/2 holes drilled into it. I often times use two 4 foot fiberglass stakes inserted into the holes and then shoved into the ground. In areas where noise may be a factor this works really slick. I also use this method for setting up over water when trying to get waterfowl pics. I realize very few cameras have this type of bracket, but with a little effort, a piece of tin, a tin snips, and some JB Weld, one could be made and added pretty easily.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom