Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CAMCORDER ADVICE

HUSKERBUCK

PMA Member
I need some advice. I am planning on purchasing a camcorder but this electronic technology thing has left me in the dust
confused_em8.gif
. I will be taking it scouting and in the stand while hunting. Oh, I will also be using it for such things as recording my kids growing up.
grin.gif
I have been looking at a Sony Hi8mm. It has a 20X optical / 560 digital zoom. It also has the nightshot feature.
I am wondering what kind of camera some of your who record your hunts use. I am no set on buying the Sony. I am open to all suggestions. What about digital compared to 8mm? What sizes of focus should I be looking at, optical and digital. Also those of you who do record your hunts is there anything special I should look for?
Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Happy New Year to all!!!
beerchug.gif

HUSKERBUCK

I don't know about all the hi tech features, but the last Sony Handycam I bought did not have a remote control. The first one I had did.

I would use mine for hunting alot more if I could reach in a pocket and hit the record button, rather than hunker down to where it mounts on my stand.

Digital zoom is about worthless, optical zoom is great, the more the better.

I have a video capture card on my PC so I don't need a digital camcorder, but I would look that way if I didn't.

sony and panosonic make a lot of real nice recorders, i would suggest taking a look at them. they make some pretty small ones, for things like taking them out hunting

huskerbuck,
The wife and I just got a camcorder from santa.
We have a 11 month old girl and thought we'd better get one, plus I'd use it for bowhunting.
We ended up buying a Canon ZR40. We like it and it is easy to use. Be down to turkey hunt your great state w/bow in April(North Central Nebraska) Spencer,NE

I have a samsung digital. It takes real clear video's as well as great still images that you can put on your computer. I want to take it turkey hunting but I need to find room in my vest first.

Huskerbuck,
I have that sony you are talking about (TRV-308) and i really like it. Like the others said, a strong digital zoom is not special as it just distorts the picture. I just bought a 2x optical lense for $40 and it has improved those pics of deer from 200+ yards a lot. For $40 more it would be a lot cheaper to buy an optical lense for a camcorder, then get a camcorder that has high optical zoom.
The camera works great for around the house also.

I also have an cannon...digital is the only way to go. I have used mine for deer hunting, scouting, and around the house. My inlaws live out of state - dad likes to see pictures of Iowa Bucks, very easy to send him video over the net. The remote control is also a very nice feature.

Top Bottom