Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camera Positioning

shooter72

I was curious, typically, how do most of you guys use your cameras this time of year. During the summer, I usually put my cameras over some bait. When it comes to mid-August, when the acorns start to fall and the grains become closer to being harvested, I start to have a hard time getting pictures. What kind of luck do you guys have putting your cameras strictly on trails, and roughly how many less pictures do you get from this style of use? What about scrapes as well?

i move mine to scrapes once i find them. i haven't really seen any nice ones yet, just small ones along edges of fields.

I haven't really ran trail cams during hunting season too much, although I did put one over a scrape with a scent dripper once and got a picture of a 150" 10 pt with his nose up to the dripper, but, i think it would be cool to hang one overlooking a good sign-post rub.. there are some big sized trees that I see that get tore up every year.. sure would be neat to see the buck that's doing it

I usually have mine on mineral licks all summer untill I find the buck that I want to hunt, then move them into the timber closer to the bedding areas, ( Not that close though, be careful.) I try to hone in on where that buck is before dark so I have a good chance of killing him while he is moving from bed to feed. This has worked well for me, you will get pics hanging on scrapes this time of year, but rarely will you get the big boy that you want to kill. This should also give you a great idea of what time of day the deer are on their feet. Good Luck!:)

Summer, I run a mix of mineral lick sites and alfalfa field edges. As soon as I find scrapes I start to move cameras to them. If Im lacking in good scrapes come fall I try to hit up corn field edges. By mid-oct I have all of my cams on scrapes and they will remain there till after the rut, then I try to go back to trails going out to remaining grain fields.

I pulled mine off the licks and I'm not putting them on scraplines this year like I typically do. I'm gonna try the completely non-invasive approach this year. If I get a buck early, I'll probably put them back out as true trailcams along edges I expect increased buck activity.

I'm a weirdo and I just put mine about 50 yards off the road where there's a good trail. I just do it to see what bucks are on land (inventory). I don't use to pattern or anything- more of an entertainment & inventory thing for me PLUS I don't step foot anywhere remotely close to where I hunt until Nov, etc.- I want my scent, disturbance, etc to be non-existent til hunting time. (Have a couple cams on some main areas where tresspassers might be BUT that's a different reason for trail cams).

Top Bottom