Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camera Question

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

I placed a camera on a new setup a few days ago and went back to pull the card and I'm stumped.... I have 297 pictures all of tree movement and weeds.... I need tips on camera placement to avoid 300 pictures of nothing but grass and tree movement.

Try facing it away from the sun if you didn't. Also if not new batteries replace. Even if it says they are good. Low batteries will cause it to take continous pictures. Hope this helps.

Try facing the cam North or even South but North would be better. Put it on a tree that is big enough that the wind isnt going to blow it around. Try clearing grass, weeds, or hanging leaves and branches out if the way in front of it. False pics are almost inevitable but doing the above should limit them. Sometimes a pic that looks like a false trigger isnt, either the animal went by too quick and the cameras trigger speed isnt very fast or something small and hard to find in the background like a squirrel or bird triggered it

Thanks for the replies . . . They are new batteries and the trigger speed is 30 seconds but I am unsure of how fast it snaps them.... I will try something different. I was aware of the direction as to avoiding the sun. . I guess this is what I get for using a wildgame x6cg or something like that. . . . Will post back what I get after changing locations.

I get a lot of false triggers till the leaf litter drops it seems. It's just part of it in some trail camera setups, especially if you put it on an active scrape branch that catches a lot of wind. I've tried tipping the cam down more, but then you end up with body shots of bucks with their racks just out of frame, tip em too high and you get antler tip pics. In the cams I place high in trees my false triggers are minimal though. Like others said, avoid pointing them W or E and clear out small taller brush within the first 20 ft or so.

Cam brand is a huge factor here. Not trying to start a pissing match over what's better just stating a fact. I find some brands it's hard to get away from this. I have one brand that never does it, another that seldom does, and have had many that always did that I got rid of.

Trail cams and machetes make a good pair! Cut grass, trim branches. Kinda like clearing shooting lanes, i clean up my camera target lane as well. Sometimes, you cant avoid it, and sometimes you just have to find a different mounting place for the cam.

I set some that i really count on, but im screwed if we get a good wind storm... Finding a full card with 2,000 pix of sideways rain sucks.

Top Bottom