Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camo Recommendations?

Iowabowtech

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to spring for some new camo next year, pants in particular and maybe a jacket. My pants are really starting to fade and I'm starting to feel like a snowball up in the stand. I know Gray Wolf makes awesome stuff but I'm not really ready to drop several hundred dollars. Anybody ever order right from the Predator website? I kind of like the look of Deception Brown and their prices don't look too bad. Just wondering if the product is good and/or if anyone has other recommendations. Use for the camo would be fall treestand hunting.

I like Cabela's Microtex pants. Tough, dead calm quiet, dry fast and the poly materials keep patterns/colors longer than cottons. If you watch their ads, they usually go on sale after deer season.
The Microtex Jackets are nice to, but I wear their camo wool sweaters because they keep me toasty with little bulk.

Two items I hope never go off the market!

Last edited:
I bought gray wolf stuff last year. I bought it out of the returns so it was not exactly what I wanted. I bought a lined wolfskin jacket and wool bibs. I really liked it but money got real tight last spring and I had to sell it.

This fall I purchased the warp knit jacket and bibs thru predator. I've been using it all season and am very impressed. I've worn deception but like fall gray much better. I wear it all season with or without leaves on the trees. The warp knit stuff is very warm and quiet. I won't be selling this set anytime soon.

JJ,
Thanks for the info. You get the bowhunter jacket? I'm leaning toward getting something with some decent warmth but don't want to go overboard into the Stay-Puff marshmallow man mode either. Was thinking maybe about the parka or the fleece jacket depending on how they stack up against one another in warmth and bulkiness.

Ryan,
You tried the fleece pants or just the upper? I see the pants are listed as a new item.

I tried the pants but the mediums were a touch large for me. They were nice though. I gave them to a buddy of mine and he really likes them. They do have a windproof layer in them. They did seem like they would be pretty warm.

I bought a fleece and bibs in brown decep. this yr, was happy with both, but would have likely been happier with FG...may snag a FG coat next yr.

Be careful when washing the less expensive camo, I bought a spring green t shirt and the first wash it turned into snow camo from fading. The more jean like material of the pants and coat have not faded however.

I tried the pants but the mediums were a touch large for me.

That was gonna be my next question. Taking it they ran a little large then. Medium says 32-34 and I'm a 34. Being on the edge of the sizing chart like that always makes me nervous. Never sure whether to go with it or order the next size up. Now you guys have me second guessing my color choice. Maybe Fall Gray is the ticket.

I'm not a fashion maven. Most of my camo has been Christmas gifts and though it might not be exactly what I have wanted, it's been functional and has proved to me that you can get by on the cheap. Might not look so chic in the hero photos, though.

I think stand placement and lack of movement trump camo pattern.

I think stand placement and lack of movement trump camo pattern.

Tough to argue with that logic Randy, I've always used pretty cheapo camo myself actually. Not sure what motivated my Dutch butt to ante up for more upper shelf stuff this time around. Sometimes the mood just hits me. I always end up with half rate, usually blurry harvest pics anyway so that's of no concern. I could be wearing a Versace and it wouldn't matter. :D

I'll give my token response:
"can't go wrong with ASAT or Predator"

And I will add. I am now starting to transition to Opti-fade as well. Love it. :way:

Check out Sitkagear.com

I've been checking out the Optifade for the past year or so, just not sure if I'm on board yet. I do have another question regarding the Fall Gray however. I keep seeing what appears to be two different variations of this pattern...one with a LOT of white in it and one that's more browns and grays. Here's one that shows a bunch of white:

s7_933074_imageset_02

Is that a pretty good representation of what the Fall Gray looks like or does this sample have more white than usual in it?

I got the predator fall gray fleece jacket and the cotton pants this year....absolutely love them. You feel like you'll stick out with all the white but deer can look right at you and not pay any attention.

I got the predator fall gray fleece jacket and the cotton pants this year....absolutely love them. You feel like you'll stick out with all the white but deer can look right at you and not pay any attention.

I got the same coat and pants this year in fall gray and I really like them. The fleece jacket is one of the warmest ones I have had.

I have had numerous deer look up at me this year and they all just looked back down and kept on walking. I ordered from the predator camo site and didn't have any problems.

Fall grey is the ticket. Fleece jacket and pants for the cooler temps, and the stalker jacket with 6 pocket pants for early season. Spring green is also great early season camo.

Top Bottom