Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can cedars be too thick for optimal bedding cover?

MN Slick

PMA Member
Do cedars lose their value as a bedding area if they get so thick the ground cover is absent and the lower branches die off. My thought is to start thinning them out to allow sunlight to hit the ground creating brush/grassy cover between the cedars. Any thoughts or experience doing this?

Me and another guy was actually talking about this the other day. Seems when the cedars get really thick, they stay cooler in there, instead of warmer. Then go to area's where there is alot of grass cover on the ground, and deer bed up there good.

Yes they can. Seems the thickest nastiest stands are not utilized like a stand that allows good solar exsposure yet maintains thermal insulation, and plenty of edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then go to area's where there is alot of grass cover on the ground, and deer bed up there good.
</div></div>

I agree...under the thick stuff it's cold, hard and bare but the semi open areas filled with a nice bed of grass is might comfy and safe for bedding deer.

Put em on a hill side where they can see approaching danger and you really have something! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have some work ahead of me. Do you recommend planting something between the cedars after thinning or just let nature take its course? Many of the cedars are on hillsides now so it should work out well.

Good point, we have a really mature cedar thicket that is like you describe with only needles for ground cover, might have to do some chainsawing through it to clear it out. The deer use it but they only use the ridge tops that have lots of taller grass around the trees.

Try to get your trees spaced between 40-50 ft apart this way when they mature they will give good cover but will aso let in enough sunlight to grow undergrowth

Top Bottom