Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can ya help a fella out?

Fishbonker

Life Member
This is a picture of a feather I found this morning. I assume it is a tail feather of a turkey. I have been finding several feathers, again I assume they are turkey, around my little slice of heaven. Never more than one in any given place and all in the past month or so. So here is what I need help with, is this indeed a tail feather, and if so, is it a small, medium or large feather? Why would I be finding feathers at this particular time of year? There are a ton of coyotes in the area and I have seen foxes too, not to mention the stray cats that I try to control. So are they molting or am I finding the feathers that the predators are leaving behind?

The reason I'm asking is if this is a good sign that I have harvestable turkeys moving through my little slice of heaven I will start studying up on turkey tactics and try and to harvest one next spring. I have never hunted turkeys, but if they are in my back yard why not try my skill at what mother nature has placed before me? On the other hand, if the feathers are the left overs from predators, I'll deal with them too.
2guns.gif

I'd love to have a string of spurs like Ghostwalker, and I hope to start in my backyard next year. Ghost should really put up a photo of his string. It was one of the most impressive things I saw at the Rendezvous.

Anyway, please give me a clue.

The 'Bonker

Attachments

• 30617-P8270001.JPG
    30617-P8270001.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 11
Bonker,
Yes it is a tail feather... chances are it is from a turkey in the area. If there isn't a huge pile of feathers in the area chances are it just fell out or was lost in a fight, ect...

study your turkey tactics and hunt em next year! you will not regret it. If your little slice of heaven is where you live I can almost guarentee you have birds there.
waytogo.gif

Bonker....I agree with everything Limb said but will add my 2 cents.

The tail feather you found is not that huge and the way it curves tells me it came from the lower right side of the tail fan and is probably a younger bird.

Look for other signs such as scratchings, droppings and roost trees. If you have a huntable population of turkeys there you will find plenty of sign this fall. You should also have plenty of sightings while deer hunting this fall.

Ghost Walker is right on target. Because of size and the lop-sidedness, it's from the right side. Feathers from the center of the tail are longer, straighter and more even. If there's lots of scratching around where you found it, there's definitely birds using your area. I found bunches of scratching with numerous feathers from all parts of the body on Sunday so it could be this is molting time. Or the birds are shedding feathers to try to stay cool.
grin.gif

Threebeards

Holy white meat Batman! You guys can tell all that from one photo?
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
There is a camp fire site near where I'm finding feathers. I noticed the same morning that it had been worked up into a dust. I couldn't see any turkey tracks, or any other tracks for that matter. The area where the ashes were turned into dust didn't seem big enough for a turkey. I'll have to keep my eyes open. There have been turkeys harvested very close to my place, I just didn't know if they would actually come that close so I could get em on my land. Like I say I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Thanks for helpin a fella out.

The 'Bonker

In our neck of the woods turkeys move locations from fall to winter and spring. Usually they group up more in the fall to winter where there is good cover and food. In the spring they spread out more. If they are there now some should be in the spring. Get up early in the spring and listen. If you hear gobbles buy a tag. If not get up the next morning and listen.

If you need some turkey hunting help, ask a friend who lives in the area. I am sure most people would love to guide on a new chunk of land. They can get you started, but BEWARE once you get turkey fever it comes back every year and you will be a walking zombie for the spring hunt.

It's GREAT though. Good luck. A fall tag might be worth the money.

i know someone who will come over and call one in for you 'bonker. i still owe you a couple favors!!!!

I can vouch for him. He is a pretty decent caller. See if he will promise you a turkey first.

Top Bottom