Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can you call a turkey down a hill??

Bowhunt

It always seems like I have been able to call turkeys up a hill, like on to a ridge top. I have some areas that it would be much easier to come in from the bottom and call them down the hill. Has anyone ever had any luck calling a turkey down hill off a ridge top?

Yes it can be done but it is not as effective as uphill. I have had some success doing this and it was like the bird was coming no matter what was in his way. He came down hill crossed a creek around a terrace and crossed a fence to get me. I was thinking that he had a death wish from the looks of it. There has been other birds that I have taken from calling them downhill but that one was the most memorable since it was the first one with a bow.

A few years ago on our property in Missouri, I set up in a creek bottom at the base of a steep hill. I had 2 toms fly over the top of me and land on top of the hill directly to my right side and way up. Sure enough I had them walk right down hill to me.....too bad I was facing away from them and I couldn't move. It made for an exciting hunt and proved to me that you can call birds down hill.

turkeys don't like to walk down hill due to how their legs are made up. their "knees" hinge backward and it's naturally easier for them to walk up a hill. i know that i personally think it's "easier" to walk up hill and maintain my balance rather than try to walk downhill at the same speed and maintain my balance. sounds weird but it's true.

I like to run down hill. With scissors.
tongue.gif

I've called a tom down hill a couple of times. Not too often.

[ QUOTE ]
turkeys don't like to walk down hill due to how their legs are made up. their "knees" hinge backward and it's naturally easier for them to walk up a hill. i know that i personally think it's "easier" to walk up hill and maintain my balance rather than try to walk downhill at the same speed and maintain my balance. sounds weird but it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you walked a little funny Muddy, I just couldn't figure out what it was.
grin.gif

I now know your knees hinge backwards!
jester.gif

This is one of the most informative posts you have come up with yet!
evil.gif

Back to the question.....you can call a turkey in any direction he wants to go.
waytogo.gif

i agreee that you can call a bird anyway that he wants to go but from what i've read a turkey would prefer to go uphill because of how the "knee" hinges, didn't make that up. if you watch a bird in teh field coming down a hill they seem to have to walk slower and work at maintaining balance while they can just cruise right on up a hill.

I was just kidding you Muddy.
grin.gif

In my experiences I have found it much easier to call a Gobbler to the top of a ridge rather than down the ridge to a bottom area. The Tom wants to get to the top of the ridge to be more easily heard by the hens as well as more easily seen. In nature the hens are being called to the Toms. Most of the best strutt zones are on the top of a ridge or in an open field so the Tom is easily seen and heard by the hens. If you catch a lonely ol Tom with no hens you can about call him in from anywhere.

I'm sure this will sound like common knowledge to most of you.

would have to agree with muddy. The steeper the hill the harder for them to get down it. Kinda like mountain roads. Don't go straight - meander or take a flatter route.

Have noticed also in hilly country they like to plop to a limb from high at night or glide down to the limb.

i agree a turkey will go wherever he pleases, they got to come off those steep ridges sometimes. ive found in the past in the middle of the day, inbetween two huge ridges down by the creek, is where they usually seem to go to. its alot cooler down there, there is always a creek for water, and they like to dust in the sandy soil around the creeks. they are hard to call down a hill usually but if they want to come they will. i usually hunt ridge tops in the mornings and hunt the afternoons in the bottoms and climb back up to the ridge tops at night, waiting for them to come back to roost
smile.gif

...it is generally easier to call a tom uphill or along the same level than it is to call them down hill...but it can be done with the right bird...

...Muddy, I have always been told that turkeys are more comfortable walking up hill because if danger presents itself the turkey can turn around take a few steps away from the danger and be airborne...whereas if going downhill the turkey has to run toward the danger to get airborne...
confused.gif

I've had some luck calling them off of the roost from down in a valley, but I would rather set up above them too if I could.

Top Bottom