Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can you guess what this belongs to?

Handcannon

Sorry guys, no prizes but I wanted to see who can nail this on the head. I think there're a few that can. I just finished this tonight (this morning). Here it is...

skull_1.jpg

skull_2.jpg

Flathead. When you said "Nail it on the head" you gave it away. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Guys around here run a 16 penny nail right through the head of the big catfish and into a tree. Makes it pretty easy to clean the catfish vertically. I know a couple places where theres several catfish heads still pinned on trees to this day. Have been there since i can remember.

I'm going to guess blue cat. To me the bone structure isn't long enough for a flathead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to guess blue cat. To me the bone structure isn't long enough for a flathead. </div></div>

Cripes! You fish nerds! Species wasn't enough? Next we will be aging and scoring it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It says hes from Northwest Iowa. Probably not going to find any Bluecats up there unless Handcannon likes to travel. Then again there might be a few lakes stocked with bluecats up that way??

Well, it's from a Channel cat & here's the story behind this.

Dad & I were crappie fishing & spotted this white thing floating near shore about 75 yds up the shoreline. I knew it was a fish but this thing was huge. I motor up to it & it's a massive channel cat, it has been there awhile. I know for a fact this fish was pushing 20 pounds if not more. I have always wanted a catfish skull. I thought about it, fished for a couple more hours, we drove back by. As gross as it was - I had to have it. With a paddle & pliers I got the head off the body & into a bucket. This head filled the bottom of the bucket. I got it home, used an old coleman cooker at the end of the driveway to boil the "meat" off. I now have my very own boiling pot thanks to this fish & my wife /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I must say this is the nastiest grossest thing I have ever done!!! If I ever do this again it will be a FRESH fish. In less than 10 minutes the bones were clean as could be. 3 changes of water, drying, 2 bottles of peroxide, drying & very little bleach, some epoxy. I'll do the next big cat I catch & it will be more complete.

The best part is that I have fished this pond since I was 4 & never knew the cats were there, never heard of anyone catching one on purpose or by accident or even trying to fish for them in this pond. I have never seen or heard of anyone even catching a bullhead out of here either. I now have a new mission when I go to this pond. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

A 20 pound CHANNEL catfish isnt something you see very often. Cool find and it looks like your efforts paid off. Looks very good. Cant wait to see the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aim-n-High</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It says hes from Northwest Iowa. Probably not going to find any Bluecats up there unless Handcannon likes to travel. Then again there might be a few lakes stocked with bluecats up that way?? </div></div>

NW Iowa includes a lot of the Missouri River. I thought Channel at first but thought it was a trick question. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cripes! You fish nerds! Species wasn't enough? Next we will be aging and scoring it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

You mean the otiliths? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Actually aging a cat is easier by taking the spine off it, cutting a cross section like a tree, sanding it down paper thin, and then staining it and counting the rings under a scope. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Yep Mud, you are a nerd......
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom