Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canned Deerhunting???

Split_G3
just wondering what ya'lls take was on this topic?(i think i already know, but) just some more bullcrap for us hunters to put up with! i myself have never agreed with high-fenced deerhunting, no matter what the circumstance. what gets me is the guy running the particular farm in this article, tranquilized deer
mad.gif
now correct me if i'm wrong, but, doesn't tranquilizing an animal taint the meat, just as euthanizing the animal does?

State should simply ban canned hunting

January 24, 2005

Our position is: Legislators should ban canned deer hunting and better regulate farming operations that breed wildlife.

Killing captive deer on fenced-in "game preserves" is to hunting as shooting fish in a barrel is to angling.

It is time the General Assembly outlawed fenced-in deer hunts in Indiana. Instead, legislation has been introduced to encourage the practice.

The recent trial of a Peru deer farm owner highlights why these canned hunts are opposed by legitimate hunting groups as well as animal rights activists.

Russell G. Bellar, who ran the largest deer preserve in the state, likely will spend at least two years in prison after pleading guilty to charges of violating state and federal hunting and wildlife laws. Witnesses testified they paid up to $10,000 to kill large-antlered deer at his 1,100-acre farm 65 miles north of Indianapolis. Some animals were tranquilized and shot near deer feeders and bait piles or in high-fenced pens.

Deer farms and hunting preserves operate in a gray area of Indiana law, where regulation often falls between the cracks of the Department of Natural Resources and the state Board of Animal Health. Instead of curbing the practice, House Bill 1780 has been introduced in the General Assembly to allow hunting of captive deer, elk, moose, reindeer and caribou into law. It would extend hunting from Sept. 1 through Jan. 31 -- far longer than the existing deer hunting season. It also would allow the animals to be hunted as close as 100 yards to a feeding station, and the meat to be sold.

Canned hunts raise obvious ethical issues. Breeding and keeping wild animals in captivity risks spread of diseases to wild animal populations.

There are plenty of free-roaming wild deer in Indiana, and lots of places to hunt them in a sporting way. Canned hunts should be banned, and this bill defeated.

Top Bottom