Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canned Venison

Willie

PMA Member
I'm going after my 5th doe harvest this weekend and if I'm lucky enough to connect I was thinking about canning a portion of the meat. I've heard it's great to use in stews and chili and a quick and easy way to make BBQ Venison sandwiches. Anyone done this before and have any tips?

From the limited research I've done it looks like you just stuff a jar full of meat and put it in the pressure canner. Is it worth the extra hastle???

It is well worth it. Not a lot of prep time and the deer and noodles you can make with the meat.

I can it in quarts - takes about 12 pounds of meat for 7 quarts of finsihed.

leaving for work now - will try to add more input when I get off tonight.

John V

My wife and I have done this in the past. It’s pretty simple. I cut the meat into chunks and she packs the jars. We also add some beef bullion and a slice of onion to the meat before it goes into the canner.

It’s great for a quick meal of BBQ sandwiches and venison with noodles.

mole

A lady that goes to our church cans something like 300 quarts of venison each year!
bigshock.gif

They have a large group that hunts during shotgun and late antlerless seasons and I think they killed something like 60+ deer...so she had lots to work with!
smirk.gif

I've had canned venison many times and it's very tasty. If you process your own deer and have the time, it's an excellent way to keep and store it...plus no worries if the power goes out while your away next summer and your freezer...doesn't smell so good when you come home!
crazy.gif

We canned 21 quarts 2 years ago and it is gone so we are doing it again this year. It is simple. We cube it up and pack the jar. You have to add some canning salt. Put it in the pressure cooker. If you own a pressure cooker there should be a recipe in you owners manual about canning meat. I like to make burritos and deer and noodles. The boullion sounds like a good idea too! It is well worth the time.

My step-father and mom has done it the past few years. I did it the first time this year. Basically as stated above.
We bought an small pressure cooker(8 qt, I think) from Theisens for $40. It only holds 5 pt jars, but a pint is plenty big enough for us. Nice to take to work even, toss it in the microwave, add BBQ and waalllaaa.
You know those pesky forearms of the deer that are loaded with tendon??? Can those, no time spent cleaning the tendons out, no time spent unclogging the grinder. They come out as tender as any other.

Sounds like I'll have to dig the pressure cooker out this year and give it a whirl. I've always wondered what to do with those forearms anyway. Sounds like a good solution. I bet a jalapeno or a clove of garlic would be good in a jar too.

Its cheap and easy to do.

We have added salt and pepper to ours amoungst other things. We added a bunch of mushrooms to few jars and that turned out alright aswell.

YOu can also take it out mash it with a fork and mix Mayo and Relish and it makes a decent sandwich spread. Also make awesome gravy with some taters.

Dean

Top Bottom