Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canned Venison

Willie

PMA Member
Here's a great way to preserve your harvest and save some freezer space. Our family will warm this up with BBQ sauce for some great sandwiches, use it as the main meat source in a vegetable deer stew that cooks all day long in the crock pot and we will also use it over noodles or boiled taters using the juices to make a gravey. Just another way to keep your deer throughout the year. Only one disclaimer, pressure cooking is the only way to can venision. Follow a trusted recipe and use the directions that come with a quality pressure canner/cooker!

Here's the process as best as I can explain....

Step One - Trim up the meat removing all fat, silver skin and membranes. The key to good canned meat is getting rid of anything that might produce an aftertaste.

cut_up.JPG

Step Two - I prefer to raw pack the jars although if you follow your pressure cooker's directions you can also hot pack (basically quickly browning the meat before packing). Fill the jars to about 1" from the top. Again, follow the directions with your pressure canner. Add one teaspoon of salt for quarts (1/2 teaspoon for pints) and lightly tighten the lid.

raw_jar.JPG

Step Three - A variation you can use is to add a garlic clove for additional flavor. Some use jalepenos others use onions.

garlic_style.JPG

Step Four - Again, following the directions of your pressure canner fill with boiling water and situate jars so they aren't touching.

canner_full.JPG

Step Five - My pressure canner book says to process at 11 PSI for 90 minutes. Sometimes getting the pressure to stabilize can be tricky so watch it closely.

11_psi.JPG

Step Six - After 90 minutes shut the canner off and let it cool gradually. Don't try to speed the process by removing the lid or safety valves - if you do you'll understand what a steam burn is all about /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif. Once cool and all the pressure has been released, remove the lid and lift out the jars and put on a cooling rack. You'll notice that the jars are still boiling and you will soon hear the "pop & ping" of the lids sealing.

the_bounty.JPG

close_up.JPG

Willie, how long will it keep for. Not a huge canner, but it seems like something worth looking into.. Thanks for sharing...

I've still got two quarts in the cellar from last year - just found them today as I was organizing the shelf. As long as the lid is sealed you should be good to go.

I canned some for the first time last year. I tried some with 1/2 a jalapeno and it had ZERO heat in the finished product. I would suggest at least one whole if not two peppers if you like some spice.

Still very good none the less....

I've thought of doing this before, but lack the pressure cooker/canner. Where did you guys get yours and what should a person expect to pay?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've thought of doing this before, but lack the pressure cooker/canner. Where did you guys get yours and what should a person expect to pay? </div></div>

hoofline.gif

I see pressure cookers sell for next to nothing at auctions. I would start checking out the local auction adds if I were you. Good luck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh, and YES canned deer meat is wonderful. GREAT post Willie! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JNRBRONC said:
Oh, and YES canned deer meat is wonderful. GREAT post Willie! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

</div></div>

I pretty much gotta agree with that.

The note about adding onion, hot peppers, ect is an GREAT idea.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I see pressure cookers sell for next to nothing at auctions. I would start checking out the local auction adds if I were you. Good luck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

</div></div>

I inherited two pressure cookers from my wife's Grandmother. Every year, there is a pressure cooker safety check put on by the local extension office. When they looked at the one's I have, they shook their heads and said don't use them (due to their age, I guess). They said their testing equipment wouldn't work on them. Anybody wanna do a test run for me? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

So I'd be cautious about buying an old one at an auction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe willie should just donate one of those jars to the "feed the teeroy foundation" </div></div>

Geez, ya think one jar would do it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif.

As far as buying a pressure canner do some looking right now. Sometimes stores are having sales on them since the gardening season is basically over.

yes, one jar would do...........until i can come up with something to use for blackmail. hmmm.....what do i know about your spending habits that the mrs. doesn't know?

Top Bottom