Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canning Deer

Field Service

I'm going to can a deer this year and would appreciate some/any suggestions. I’ve read to add a beef bullion cube or some pork or beef fat to every jar. I’ve also read to cook it anywhere from 25 minutes to 3 hours.

If anyone has done this and has a success story, I’d love to hear it. I’ve got to find a better way to eat deer than wrapping 300 buxs in processing fees.

Thanks! j

Canning deer to me defines as using a pressure cooker. I went with the simplest receipe I could find. I cut all the meat into 4-5 inch strips about 3/4 inch wide and then stuffed them into the canning jars. Put a few pinches of salt on top them and pressure cooked them till they were done. I didn't add beef boullion or fat. It came out awesome.

Sounds good. Did you put every scrap of meat in the jars (the meat you would grind for burger) or just the roast/chops/ect? How many jars would one need for a big doe?

Appreciate the info!

I didn't discriminate when I canned, I think I used an entire deer minus the inner and outer straps. I did not trim up very well because I figured a little fat wouldn't hurt anything. How many jars for one doe? No idea man, this was back in college and I can't remember, maybe a couple dozen?

[ QUOTE ]
Canning deer to me defines as using a pressure cooker. I went with the simplest receipe I could find. I cut all the meat into 4-5 inch strips about 3/4 inch wide and then stuffed them into the canning jars. Put a few pinches of salt on top them and pressure cooked them till they were done. I didn't add beef boullion or fat. It came out awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just canned about 15 pint jars a couple of weeks ago and the description above is right on the money.

Add a teaspoon of canning salt and I did add 1/2 a bullion cube to each jar. Came out great !! I cooked it in the pressure cooker for an hour at 10 pounds of pressure. If you go to this website and pick the simplest recipe like muddy said, you will be fine.

http://www.cooks.com/

I also filled the jars up to 1" from the rim of the jar with beef bullion.
And you are not to cool the cooker down when done . Just shut it off and cool for 1/2 hour before opening, you dont want the jars to cool quickly or they can break. Good Luck.

I dug through some of Grandma's recipes and her directions were limited but here it goes...for raw meat, loosely pack meat in jars, 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint, add no liquid, about 1" space in top of jar. Process in pressure cooker....for hot packing, partially cook venison by frying or roasting, add meat to jars, add boiling liquid (water, broth, tomatoe juice, etc.) to jars, 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint, about 1" space in top of jar, process as usual.

Since I am no into canning, I am not sure what "process as usual" means, but I am sure someone else may chime in.

A friend of mine cans ours by first trimming the meat well and adding bouillon,not sure of the details. Although it isnt gonna win any beauty contests in the jar,it gets the gold medal for quick and delicious when served with a pack of reames noodles!!! On a side note, for those who like corned beef i found an easy recipe from cabelas for using the large cuts of deer.i do this in the late winter then vacuum pack it. beats the taste and price of store bought.

Trimming the meat isn't necessary because it will cook off and float to the top of the meat during the process. I'll dig my cooker out and post a few ways to cook it up when I get home.

It is essential to closely watch the cooker and monitor the temperature.

Also essential to let the thing cool down on it's own but yet watch it. If you manage to open that bugger before it's time you'll need to replace your ceiling.

I like how as the jarred meat cools down over night it self seals in the jars. You hear little "tinks" and "pops" as they cool down and suck the lids on super tight.

I have done it and we just cubed our meat like stew meat then we filled the jars up to about a 1" from the top put in ab out 3/4 inch of water and 1/2 tsp of salt and then pressure cooked it I can't remember how long. We also can a vegetable soup mix you can open a can of each and heat to an awesome meal! If you pressure can it it is just warming up the meat to eat as it is cooked when it is canned.

Great timing guys...I saw in the KOHL's add this weekend that they have a pressure cooker on sale for $20 or so.

All this talk may pressure me into making a purchase...golden idea considering I'm sittin on 8 doe tags.
grin.gif

Only "problem" with canning deer is that it is somewhat time consuming. Pretty much guarantee that you'll blow a whole day with it.

Turtl,
Make sure it is one you can do canning jars in it. The small ones are not made to do the jars in, Mine is the smallest you can do the jars in and I think it is like 8 QT pot and I can cook 6 pint jars at a time in it but it is not big enough for Quart jars. I got mine at Wally world a couple years ago for around $40.00.

Anyone see a problem with dropping a hot pepper or two in with the meat? Or possibly a shot of your favorite hot sauce?

I hope it is as good as it sounds, I'd hate to end up with 30 jars of something I hate... lol

Who has a jar they would be willing to part with? I'd make it worth your while...

Jody

I don't think it'll be a waste. I've never had anyone try my canned deer and then not have a second helping.

As far as a pepper or other things in with the meat goes I would rather put that stuff on afterwards if you're looking for spice/heat. That way you cater to everyone in the family. That being said, I wouldn't think it'd hurt to put extra crap in the can.

[ QUOTE ]
What happens if you just use a water bath canning? It will seal but will it be cooked?

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a try and let us know if it works, Bonk. We'll know if it doesn't.
wink.gif

Seriously, canning things makes me nervous because of the risk of botulism poisoning. About every reference I've seen for canning meat mentions pressure cookers.

From Pressure Cooker

Food can be cooked faster in a pressure cooker since the boiling point of water increases with pressure. The pressure cooker consists of a pressurized pot which has controlled vent at a specified pressure above atmospheric pressure. It is typical for the pressure of venting to be about 15 pounds per square inch above atmospheric pressure. That raises the boiling point to about 121°C or 257 °F.

So, I guess if you want to boil your jars in a water bath for 2 or 3 hours, you should be okay.

For the past few years I used the "water bath" method. I trim all the fat off & cut the meat into 1" cubes or so. Then I mix the cubes up in a large roasting pan with salt & a little pepper & garlic powder. Heat the jars in hot water, drain, stuff with meat only to about an inch from the top of the jar. Just shug the lids & place in the canner & cover with about 1" of water over the jars. Bring to boil for about 2 to 3 hours depending if you are doing pints or quarts. Make sure the pot doesn't go dry & do not add water or you'll explode the jars, trust me I learned the hard way. Usually by the time most of the water evaporates the meat is done. Sit out & tighten lids the rest of the way & in no time you will hear them seal. There usually is enough juice made on it's own to cover the meat. Turns out pretty good for me. I use the cubes for soup or stew, brown & put over noddles, pull apart & make bar-b-que for sandwiches, use for shish-ka-bobs or just eat it so. I never had any go bad.

Top Bottom