Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can't Help But Comment!!!!

sethgade280

Notice that the hunters shot are pretty much drive hunting?? Just goes to show how dangerous these drive hunts can be. Members of the same group shooting each other. No deer or no rack is worth pulling the trigger if the shot is ANY WAY CLOSE TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!

Be safe out there guys if you are planning on drive hunting the rest of the season.

I wish DNR would make two way radios legal for shot gun deer season. When you read the stories half of them are when someone isn't where people are expecting them to be. I know I would feel a lot better if I was able to communicate with the rest of the group where I was at when I am pushing. Have you ever wanted to move after you posted, and realized it wasn't a good spot - most people just move and in at least one of this weeks accidents that is how a a guy was shot. If he was able to tell the group I moved a hundred yards west and am standing by the Oak Tree, it would be much safer.

I smell what you are cooking. I guess what I am saying is that these drives really aren't the safest way to hunt. They drive everywhere by my house, and i pisses me off that every little thicket is pushed to get deer out. Stand hunt and wait for them to come to you is always safer, but i know sometimes drive hunting is the way to fill tags.

When you read the stories half of them are when someone isn't where people are expecting them to be.QUOTE]

Although I agree that this is a problem, I think it's more of an issue of shooting at running deer. Especially when the majority of these groups consist of guys who don't pick up a gun or step foot in the woods more then one weekend a year.

I am one of those odd ducks as they say that enjoy both. There are some things that I think could be made safer that I referenced above, but even with that it does require that you are hunting with people that aren't "in rut" themselves. I have terminated hunts in the past with people who are just out there slinging slugs not thinking and for those folks even the radios wouldn't help. The group I hunt with now is very concientious and careful and we have never had a close call, but I would still feel a lot safer if we could talk and know for certain where people are. If I was on a square section every time with great visibility it isn't as necessary, but not everyplace is like that.

One thing I like about bow hunters in particular is the dedication that it requires filters out a lot of the nuts, but during shotgun season they come out of the woodwork. Most are great well meaning hunters who I would be proud to hunt with, but you definitely get the bad ones coming out as well.

When you read the stories half of them are when someone isn't where people are expecting them to be.QUOTE]

Although I agree that this is a problem, I think it's more of an issue of shooting at running deer. Especially when the majority of these groups consist of guys who don't pick up a gun or step foot in the woods more then one weekend a year.

Two different things there, shooting at running deer can be very dangerous. It doesn't have to be if you scouted the area in advance, know where people will be and what is behind things you can't see through (group of trees, ridge). You have to be smart enough and have enough self control not to take shots if you aren't certain. For me I make sure we talk everything out before we go in, where everyone will be, what are the safe shooting lanes, where are the definite no no's. Doesn't eliminate all the risk, but nothing does, even with a deer standing still.

I would go so far as to agree with your description of the majority of the guys, at least where I hunt. Generally speaking I have found the majority to be good guys, but it doesn't take very many nuts to make the whole county look bad.

Very good points guys. There are alot of hunters I would go drive hunting with and some I wouldn't even let have a toy gun. The bad ones are the ones you hear about and gives gun hunting a bad name.

I kinda dought radio's would make any difference. Although hunting accidents are just that, most can still be avoided if the shooter would follow the rule that dad learned him when he was a little boy. KNOW WHATS BEHIND YOUR TARGET.

Here's a good true story.

I think four years ago a friend of mine was hunting with a bunch of family members. A giant buck ran past him on a hillside and he didn't take the short 60 yard shot cause he knew his nephew was suppose to be on the other side of the hill even though he couldn't see him. Another member of the party eneded up shooting the 225 inch buck. That's the way it should be done............

hunter safety

seth: I agree with you, but unfortunately... it is a popular way to hunt. In the past five years two hunters were killed in my area of MN while posting on the end of standing corn. Deer gets up in the corn the drivers shoot ahead and the rest is history. Absolutely no deer is worth that nonsense.

Do not mean to offend the guys that push deer, and I have taken part in deer drives in the past, but I don't think I every will again, just too many things can go wrong.

I am not against what you are saying, because I used to shotgun, and dont now because of safety and just tired of the running. But stand hunting can be dangerous too. Especially in cold like this, all bundled up, icy conditions. There are a lot of things out there that can hurt/kill you. So just always be safe with everything. Again, not against what you are saying..just throwing in be careful with icy stands and all the extra clothes on...

I think the problem with drive hunting is 90% of the people out there are with a big group of guys and are unfamiliar with the ground they are actually hunting. My buddies and I when we push late season know exactly to the T where the standers are and the standers know exactly how the drivers are going to walk it. We look at the aerials before hand and point it out. We know where to shoot and where not to shoot.

Like others said though people get to shooting without thinking where there bullets are going. Last year was the first time I ever went on the late season doe hunt and found out rather quickly I do not like hunting with rifles on deer drives. The first drive we were on we had two does come out running right at me. Normally I would of shot but I could see a highway with cars on it about a mile behind them. I kept thinking in my mind that those bullets could make it that far out of my 270 so I didn't shoot.

Some of today's slugs travel much farther as well. Rem's CLU's when sighted in 2" high at 75 are dead on at 150. Years ago before these slugs and good rifled barrels you would have had to shoot 2' high at 150 yards if you were dumb enough to shoot that far. LOL

I like to go out and drive deer during shotgun. It's safe if you aren't an idiot. It's kind of like pheasant hunting but for deer.

Normally I would of shot but I could see a highway with cars on it about a mile behind them. I kept thinking in my mind that those bullets could make it that far out of my 270 so I didn't shoot.

That far and then some! Well said and good example to lead with, Liv!

Before I was old enough to hunt, my dad always drive hunted with a group of guys that all knew each other very well. Eventually, some of these guys had kids that became old enough to start hunting also, this was fine. But then they started bringing along buddies from school that weren't very safe. Anyway, dad and one of the friends were walking beside each other through a section and a deer ran right between them, the kid started blasting away at this deer as dad hit the deck with slugs zipping over his head. That was the last year he hunted with a group he had hunted with for 15 years.

It is important to know the people you are with and hopefully they are safe hunters.

Top Bottom