Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

carbon arrows?

Liv4Rut

Im buying a Fred Bear TRX, and im thinking about switching from aluminum to carbon arrows. I dont know the first thing about carbon arrows at all and i was wondering what kind would you guys reccommend? im planning on shooting about 75 pounds with a 29 inch draw, so i would need an arrow heavy enough where im not dry firing my bow. Any suggestions would be great, thanks alot guys!!

Gold tip xt 5575 will work. Middle of the road arrow for pretty cheep. Nice way to start without breaking the bank.

I am a die hard aluminum arrow shooter and have made the switch to carbons no less than three times. After about two weeks, I have always made the switch back. I think the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. I would have to recommend aluminums but if your heart is set on carbons, try the ACC.

A lot of great choices out there with Carbon, Aluminum and a combination of the both. I prefer Beman ICS for hunting and the Hawks for 3ding. I shot the higher dollar Beman Matrix (their version of the Easton ACC). I didn't care for the durability of this arrow. That along with it's price tag was a big turn off. I shot the Gold Tips for years as well. A good arrow for the price. I shot Aluminums for a few years before that. I like Alum's for indoor shooting at a single spot....love to here them slap together. But after a few years of that and the cost of arrows those days I went with carbons. Have not had any problems with them at all. Just curious Shredder but what problems did you have when you changed? I know this has been a big discussion on other archery forums but I like to hear others pros/cons of issues like this. Then there is the whole feathers/vanes issue as well.

i would also recommend the GoldTips. I've been shooting the GoldTip XT's for a few years now and have a dozen of the 3DPro's sitting at home waiting for some fletching!! i'll catch you on the chatroom sometime LIV4RUT, ask me and i can tell you what i know...which ain't muc!!
wink.gif

Ruddbow, It is not that I hate carbons, they just never worked out for me. The three types I tried were Beman ICS, Stingers, and carbon express. I like to be able to tune my broadheads and lost that ability with the epoxy in inserts. I really questioned eithers durability. If it hits hard enough to bend an aluminum, the carbon will come apart, usually. Penetration seem slim with carbons. I found that they hit a target hard and were hard to pull out but shot nearly a dozen does with carbons with a 30% pass thru rate. My aluminums and 40 plus deer have about an 85-90% pass thru rate. I think the energy I get from the aluminums exceedes those of carbons although the physics equation KE=1/2MXVXV may prove me wrong. I guess what it all boils down to, in the last 20 years of bowhunting, I have used aluminums with very few problems and the times I have tried the carbons, I have had some problems that has made it hard for me to place my confidence in them. They have to be good in a lot of things about carbons because knowledgeable archers like yourself and many others on this site use them exclusivly and have awesome success.......

Great Points Shredder, I think you are giving me to much credit though. I always like to hear others opinions on this issue. It sounds to me like you found what you have confidence in and have had great success with your combo. Hell, if Chuck Adams still shoots aluminums your philosophy has to have some merrit. I thought of going back to them myself just never have. Great stuff.

I swapped from aluminum to carbon a couple of years ago and haven't once thought about going back. I don't think there's any one huge advantage to either though. I do like the fact that I know my arrow is straight even if I do bounce it off something other than what I was aiming at. I also think my carbon arrows are quieter than aluminums especially when drawing them up my rest. As far as penetration goes, carbon arrows are lighter thus they fly faster, but heavier arrows will penetrate deeper when accompanied with higher speed. If you decide to make the change to carbon arrows, make sure you do some field testing with different weight points to see the difference in penetration between carbon and aluminum. Looks like you've got plenty of pull on you're bow, as long as you're shooting a heavy enough arrow you shouldn't have any problem with kinetic energy. I shoot 70 pounds, along with 28" Beman ICS arrows with 100 grain heads. I think that gets me around 58 pounds of energy which is more than enough to kill a deer. Just some food for thought, but you won't know til' you mess around with each one yourself.
CRITRGITR

it's all about mental confidence if you asked me. as long as you have QUALITY arrows, be it aluminum or carbon or graphite composite you'll shoot up to your own standards!!

say, Shredder, since you mentioned you have shot several types of carbons and keep going back to aluminum that means you have several dozen carbons lying around that need a home, right??
grin.gif
let me know!!

None left muddy, I always found someone to buy them. I think I still have the ones I shattered but don't suppose you want those.

thanks guys, i probably will try them, see how i like them. i've always stuck with what i know works, but i want to make my bow a little faster so im gonna try shooting carbon. thanks alot i got a good idea of what i should get.

I tried carbons last season also and didnt have any problems with them,and they held up better on the 3d range but went back to alum. for hunting.Hard to switch something that works so well.
26404-archer[1].gif

I have never tried them and not likely ever will. I thought that I made the big switch when I went from my old Herters glass shafts to aluminum. They both shoot good and the the glass shafts are either broke or straight. They are mighty heavy,pass thru is not a problem with them.
26404-archer[1].gif

Top Bottom