Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carbon Arrows??

H

horst

Ive been asking around about carbon arrows a lot lately.Ive always shot aluminums but am thinking real seriously about switching.I talked to a guy in Illinois that can get me a doz goldtips for 50$ shipped from a dealer out there.What do you guys shoot, and are carbon really that much better than aluminum?Thanks in advance
smile.gif

I switched to carbons 3 years ago and I'll never go back. The big thing for me when I used aluminum was that I was always worried about bending them, even slightly, at home or in the truck going to the blind. I always made sure that the arrows didn't have anything laying on them or leaning against them. Yes, I was probably overly anal about it, but now with the carbons I don't worry about it as much. Of course, it's harder to bend carbons back straight, especially if it's in 2 pieces.
smile.gif

The prices are coming down on carbons also. I shoot Easton Evolutions and absolutely love them. Only negative is that the vanes don't come glued on, but most stores will do it for you when you buy them. Alot of guys up here shot Beman Hawks 400. You can get a dozen of those for $60 which isn't too bad.

I'd switch dude, you won't be disappointed.

Goldtips are what I shoot and I love 'em. You'll be happy with 'em, and if you don't like 'em I'll buy them off ya!! Seriously though, they are good arrows.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

just got a new bow and went with the gold tips what a friend told me made me swutch from alum "carbons are either straight or broke" sold me after having 3 bent alum arrows last fall gold tips run $55 a doz here cut to lenth and fletched love them never going back

Beman ICS 400. Still switch back and forth from the trusty 2213's but I really like the Bemans. Am thinking of trying the Eastons as well. muddy, sorry I didn't respond to your post about the Gold Tips earlier I have been hunting every chance I get and not had a lot of time to be here. They are still yours if you want them. I think I have four. Let me know and I can drop them off somewhere for you. By the way what is your draw length. They may be too short for you... But I guess we could cut them off if they are... ;0)&gt; What is the report from the Daniels farm?

I am also shooting GoldTips. Bought a new bow last year and had to switch from the alluminum to the carbon. Late season, drives, I shoot 2315's, little cheeper than the carbons. I think which ever you go with your gonna like them better. I sure do.

Howdy Horst -- I've shot carbons since the first day they came out. Nothing wrong with alum though. It's all what you feel best with shooting. As a whole though, your groups will be tighter, arrows stand up to a lot more punishment as well. There is a place for both kinds of arrows though. Carbons will make all the difference in the world on lower poundage bows. You know.......give you a little more speed than you'd normally get from alum. Don't get me wrong though -- speed isn't everything. Anyone who can place the arrow where it needs to be will be bringing home the meat! You will find when switching to carbon, you'll be tighening up those pins a bit. Also, fletching the arrows is a bit different as well. Use a good sharp carbon saw blade as to cut the arrows clean, too. When testing each arrow for damage, just bend it each direction and inch or two. If it has a crack in the carbon is will give and fold right away. Out of all the arrows I've shot though, I've never had that happen. For most of my hunting I've gone to carbons. Also, what many people don't realize -- carbons keep gaining speed from the point of release out to a reasonable distance. Alum will lose speed from the point of release. Alum has more punch power though. Always remember it's a give and take kind of thing. Didn't mean to be so long winded about the whole thing!!! LOL All in all though, you'll be happy with the switch.

After shooting Gold tip carbons now for three seasons I wouldn't shoot anything else. I always shot well with aluminums but they don't have the durability Gold tips do. After the season I usually just have to get my arrows refletched and thats about it. And at that price you can't go wrong!!! Hope I swayed ya! EJBuck

Thanks for the input guys, Im going to try the goldtips out.I talked to the guy today and am gonna have him order them about the first of next month when he gets back from vacation.If I have any trouble with em Ill be back for more advice
grin.gif

LimbChicken-

My draw is about 29, but that depends on if I'm shooting release or if I'm going barebow. I am working part time at Scheel's in the archery & hunting areas, you could drop them off for me there this weekend if you wanted to between 10-4 either day. Besides you need to come in and check out some of the 100th anniversary sales and clearance items, worth it.

The Daniel timber is sucking a fat one this year, actually it's probably really good but I have had the worst luck possible this year. Had a good tom at 35 yards and coming when he was beat up by 2 jakes and they all ran off in a gob of feathers. I won't be hunting till the 16th-19th again so hopefully my luck returns by that time. The only turkey I've gotten close to is the one my buddy stuck last Saturday, 25#, 10.5, and 1.25 X 2. After a 180 yard race I finally caught the mighty Iowa Ostritch and wrang his damn neck...the frustration was played out a bit. I gotta teach my buddy to start shooting in the kill zones!!! Good luck to you as the season winds down, I think the toms are gunna be easier to call in, now that the weather has warmed up I'm seeing LOTS of lone toms while on my sampling runs.

I have been shooting Gold tips for the last 2 seasons, but I am tempted to try Gametracker Carbon Express. A local dealer showed me a video comparing the Express to alum. and Gold tips and a few others and I was impressed. I figured I'd buy a half dozen and shoot them this summer. Does anyone have any horror stories on the Carbon Express?

Okay, I think the consensus is everyone is pretty happy with carbon arrows. As I stated earlier I probably will switch to carbons myself. My question then is :

Is there a better carbon arrow? Gold tips verses Beman etc... I've shot both and really like both and really can't decide on either. Prices seem to be comparable also.

Pupster

I just purchased gold tips myself and so far so good i guess i will know for sure this fall when they are put to the test in the woods.

Went bow hunting Mule Deer along the Missouri River in South Dakota one year using aluminum arrows...since there was little to no cover, my shots were 40-50 yards. Aluminum arrows dropped like a brick at those ranges...the next year I went with "Beeman Hunter" carbons. The trajectory was nice and flat at those distances...shooting carbons compared to aluminum arrows is like the difference of a high powered rifle compared to a shotgun.

I've got one Beeman carbon arrow that has killed six animals....1 muley, 1 sheep, 4 whitetails. (My lucky arrow) Doubt I'd been able to do that with an aluminum arrow.

I started with 1/2 dozen Gold Tips. Lost two so I went back to the store I bought them from and all they had were Beaman. Same spine wt. I used them both and it seemd as though the fletching lasted longer on the Beaman, I use a wisker biscut. The finish on the Beaman is smoother and that made it easier to clean the white stuff off that came from my target. I took my deer with a Gold Tip.

I'm gonna refletch all my shats and use both again.

The "gone too long" 'Bonker

Finally switched to carbons. I went with the Beman 400's. I really like the way they shoot. Had to adjust my sights a little. I bought them for $65 a doz. I can't wait to watch that chartruese and green fletching dissappear right behind the shoulder of a bruiser!

Hope everyone has a safe 4th holiday.

I'm off to chase some walleyes!
Pupster

Almost forgot I posted this.I got my Goldtip xthunters 7595s about two weeks ago, shortly after I got a different bow, a Hoyt Fastflight.Im very impressed with both, as a matter of fact Ibought a new bag target and It wont stop my Goldtips, I had to email McKenzie and get a new target shipped(The one I bought was rated to stop these up to 300fps)

I feel kinda stupid but heres a little story about how indestructable the arrows really are.I got them in the mail and had about 2 hours of daylight left.I was in a hurry to try them out so I set the nocks on 4 of them and headed out behind the house.I couldnt find a backstop for my 3d target so I set it in front of the garage.I underestimated how much faster these were than my aluminums and my first shot went over the target and into the side of my garage.I figured Id just ruined an arrow.It went through the siding, 3/4 sheeting, and on the inside a piece of 3/4 inch fuzzboard.All that was left of a 29 inch arrow was about 8 inches sticking out the outside.I pulled it out of the garage wall then it dawned on me.In my hurry to try them Id never put a feildpoint on.I shot a arrow without a tip through an inch and a half of wood and there wasnt anything wrong with it when i pulled it back out.Im sold and my groups are looking better already.

Top Bottom