Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carbon Camo arrows vs. Black arrows and 3D Targets

deeraddict

PMA Member
I have been shooting carbon arrows for 4 years. I started out shooting Blackhawk MonsterBuck hunters and now Beamans. I have always been partial to the camo arrows. Shooting 3D targets at home and with friends, it has always seemed that they come out of the targets really hard, compared to my friends plain black carbon arrows. My friends think it is the camo "sticker" on the arrow that causes this to be so hard to remove. The only other difference we could see was that my arrows often had more penetration in the target than theirs. Any one else experience this? I do enough shooting at home into blocks and 3D targets, that I may get some plain black carbons just for target shooting.

Last edited:
Camo arrows seem to be a little "rougher" than black arrows so they may be harder to remove because of it. They are also louder when drawn on some arrow rest.

You want some arrows that pull well from targets, get some Full Metal Jackets! :way:

I shoot the carbon express maxima hunters with the weight forward tech. These have the camo front followed by the cresting and then the black arrow. These arrows pull very easy from 3d targets.....i shoot a league each year and these arrows pull easily not to mention the straightness and the shootablility. jmo

Thanks for the info guys. Not really looking to switch arrow brands, as I doubt that has any effect on it, as I have shot 2 different brands already and both acted the same. Even in the soft rhinehart targets it has been difficult.

Maybe you're shooting a higher # bow than them, heavier arrows or your bow is in better tune allowing for optimum arrow plane and penetration. Not sure about the camo finish thing, I've always shot black carbons.

Maybe you're shooting a higher # bow than them, heavier arrows or your bow is in better tune allowing for optimum arrow plane and penetration. Not sure about the camo finish thing, I've always shot black carbons.

I was wondering about the poundage issue, as I am shooting almost 10lbs more than one friend, and I am shooting a longer heavier arrow than them which would = more KE.

One thing I know is those Easton Axis Arrows will bury way farther into a target than a standard gold tip shot out of the same bow. Those things are a nightmare to pull out. Camo arrows typically are harder to pull due to the texturing of the arrow. You can rub some soap on the arrows and it will make a huge difference on how easy it is to pull out.

Personally, when my arrows are harder to pull out of 3D Targets than my buddies I love it. It's kind of fun to claim they are shooting a kids bow all day long. Plus I always keep score so I don't have to worry about it.

I have only owned camo arrows once. I bought them with my first mathews because I thought it would look cool to have the same camo on my arrows as I had on my bow.

After a season in an archery league I was convinced that I would never own anything other than the regular black carbons. Camo arrows are a pain even if you have the rubber arrow puller.

Personally, when my arrows are harder to pull out of 3D Targets than my buddies I love it. It's kind of fun to claim they are shooting a kids bow all day long.

Yes, I do the same thing. Me and the 2 friends I usually shoot with all shoot different bows, a Matthews and a Bowtech vs. my Hoyt, so we always have some friendly kidding about who's is better. I usaully win.:grin:

Tried the soap thing and even bought some special arrow lube once with a puller. Worked for a bit. Showstopper said he had the same issue as well, looks like I will have to tell the wife some new arrows are a must for 3D shooting this year...:way:

You want some arrows that pull well from targets, get some Full Metal Jackets! :way:

And then pray that you can get them to tune. FMJ are notorious for not tuning well. Good luck if you go that route. I couldnt get them to shoot well outta my bow.

If you want a way to pull arrows easy get your self some arrow lube.
Woodys or Scorpion Venom
Are just a couple. WELL WORTH IT.

If your really cheap (like me)you can also get Black Magic Tire Shine and put it in a different conatiner. I took a little spice container with screw on cap, crammed a chunk of sponge in it and filled the container with lube. I did that last year and shot 7 or 8 30target shoot. Shot it with no less than 4 shooters all of them lubing their arrows and I still have plenty in there. Bout every 4 - 6 targets a guy has to lube the first 1in of your arrow. EASY ARROW REMOVAL. Once you shoot with it you wont go with out it.

PS Arrow lube will out last soap by atleast 2targets usually 3 or 4. :)

Last edited:
Camo arrows are harder to pull out then black arrows.. I used to shot camo arrows too, until I had to pull them out of 3d targets....never again!!!

Also they probably bury deeper in the target as the camo ones are usually a little heavier then the plain black ones, so you have a little more down range energy.

I also switched last year from the CX Black Maxima arrows to the CX Hunters in Camo with the weight forward and they come out way easier than the black ones did.

Top Bottom